Airdate: January 9, 2011
After having a Red Bull, Peter decides to make his own (out of kerosene) and suffers kidney failure, and when Peter skips a dialysis appointment while waiting for a kidney donor, Brian steps up and offers his kidney... only to learn that Dr. Harman needs both, as dog's kidneys are smaller than human's. Meanwhile, Chris is assigned to write an essay for an upcoming visit from President Obama, and Meg's heartfelt speech on what hope is (based on her miserable life) is stolen by her own brother.
"New Kidney in Town" contains examples of:
- Artistic License Biology: Dr. Hartman didn't even know dogs have kidneys to begin with. Then again, this may be justified as Dr. Hartman isn't a veterinarian (and, as past episodes have shown, he's barely a competent doctor for people).
- Blood from the Mouth: Peter decides to skip an appointment, believing missing one treatment won't hurt him. He's quickly proven wrong when his skin turns yellow and he pukes blood.
- Caffeine Bullet Time: Peter, after he drinks Red Bull for the first time.
- Cerebus Retcon: Dr. Hartman offhandedly mentions a time that he tried to clone a chicken and it resulted in a man sized chicken that was incredibly hostile and eventually escaped from the medical laboratory. It's not outright said, but that chicken may be the one that has been fighting with Peter ever since the Y2K episode "Da Boom."
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Peter gives Chris some Red Bull and later when Peter milks a cow so fast, its utters catch fire, Chris is seen running and screaming with his pants off and his crotch on fire.
- Fallacy of Composition: Peter says that since kerosene is fuel and red Bull is fuel, kerosene is Red Bull.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Brian is willing to give both his kidneys to Peter, even though the procedure would kill him.
- Inelegant Blubbering: Stewie is so overcome with his fear of losing Brian that he cries in a disgusting manner. His crying is so gross that his tears cover half of his eyes and his mucus spreads around his face. Then he starts hugging Brian while doing so.
- MST: Peter and the guys riff on the opening sequence to Charles in Charge.
- Rotoscoping: The sequence where Peter sings "Ray of Light" while high on Red Bull.
- Reality Ensues: Discussed. It turns out, even though Brians kidneys were a match for Peters, the latter still could die along with Brian since dog kidneys arent as efficient as human ones. Thankfully though, Dr. Hartmans kidneys are a match and he gives one of them up for Peter, sparing both of them from death.
- Take That!: When Peter's skin turns yellow from not going to dialysis, Peter says that he's fine and can last another 20 years before puking blood and passing out.
- Too Dumb to Live: Peter has never been the sharpest pair of scissors inside the desk drawer to begin with, but he reaches an all-time low here when he thinks mixing in kerosene inside a blender and drinking it as a homemade Red Bull. You already know what happens after this.....