Airdate: May 9, 2010
Quagmire's father, a Navy lieutenant, comes to town to visit his son — and reveal that he's about to undergo gender reassignment surgery.
"Quagmire's Dad" contains examples of (YMMV goes here):
- An Aesop: When you tell a loved one about a life changing decision, don't assume that they will accept your feelings or force them to accept your decision because the result will also impact their lives, and they need time to absorb this revelation. If you are uncomfortable with someone's feelings, try to be supportive, but don't be afraid or anxious to ask questions or voice discomfort.
- All of the Other Reindeer: After returning home, Brian expresses irritation over Peter, Lois, and Stewie not being interested in his trip. Meg immediately asks how it went, and he ignores her.
- Beer Goggles: Brian is unaware of Ida's previous identity until Stewie tells him the morning after the two slept together.
- Big "NO!": Quagmire upon learning that Ida had sex with Brian.
- Broken Aesop: The episode was meant to be a sympathetic portrayal of transgender people yet it never once addresses how society feels about transgender people and how they arent something to fear. While Peters actions could be the case of Hanlon's Razor, its blatantly obvious that Lois is transphobic. Yet the episode never highlights how they're wrong for feeling the way they do about Ida, instead opting to present Quagmire in the wrong for not instantly accepting her feelings about herself.
- Delayed Reaction: Stewie watches, as Brian vomits for half a minute, breathes for a beat, and then screams loudly. It's only after that last part that Stewie asks what's wrong with him.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Quagmire giving Brian a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown for unknowingly sleeping with his trans mother.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: After Brian tells Stewie that he slept with Ida, they have exaggerated lip flap for the remainder of their conversation, implying that Brian and Stewie are now flaccid.
- I Banged Your Mom: Brian gives Quagmire a variation of this after the No-Holds-Barred Beatdown:Brian: Hey.Quagmire turns around.Brian: I f*cked your dad.
- Jerkass: Quite an episode for Peter and Lois. When Brian's leaving for his seminar, they think he's leaving forever and are very indifferent about it, even saying they've made their peace with how he'll eventually die and that his last name being "Griffin" is merely a pleasantry they extended. Then there's how they make fun of Ida and laugh uproariously at Brian when they learn that was who he slept with.Peter: This is the best day of my life!
- Made of Iron: After Glenn beats the daylights out of Brian, the latter is able to get up, walk to the front door, and gloat, because he's pleased at having slept with Glenn's mother, and Glenn hates him so much.
- Mood Whiplash: Brian is laughing like crazy upon finding out about Dan, until he discovers Dan had gender reassignment surgery and became the woman he slept with last night.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Glenn gives a very serious one to Brian when he finds out about their little talk last night.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Quagmire went on this when he found about Brian and his dad.
- Running Gag: Once again, Brian is beaten to a bloody pulp after taking a shower, but this time by Quagmire.
- Scream Discretion Shot: When Glenn finds out that Ida slept with Brian.
- Screaming at Squick: After vomiting profusely, Brian says he slept with Ida, so he and Stewie alternate between screaming.
- Suddenly SHOUTING!: Brian and Stewie do this in panic after realizing that Brian slept with Quagmire's father.
- Transgender Fetishization: Ida is portrayed as extremely attractive, especially to Brianwho ends up sleeping with her to set up an Unsettling Gender Reveal gag.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Brian is seriously squicked out when he discovers the identity of Ida, vomiting for half a minute.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: As noted above, upon learning who he slept with, Brian vomits in full view of the audience for half a minute. As the puddle of vomit slowly expands, Stewie has to step back twice.