Airdate: June 19, 2005
After "winning" at Trivial Pursuit during game night with the neighbors (Lois had switched Peter's cards with those from the preschool section), Peter deludes himself into thinking that he actually is a genius—after getting tired of Peter's newfound pretentious attitude, Brian challenges him to take the MacArthur Genius Grant-IQ test to make it official. But after Peter takes the exam and eventually gets the results back, it turns out that Peter's not a genius—in fact, according to the test results, Peter's IQ is apparently so low that he's declared to be "mentally retarded" (technically-speaking).
After initially grousing over it, Peter decides to take advantage of it because people are more forgiving of those with mental disabilities. As always, Peter takes it too far—this time, it results with him severely injuring his wife (forcing Lois to stay in the hospital for who-knows-how-long in a full body cast) and getting the kids taken from him by Child Welfare, as he's deemed "mentally unfit" to take care of them.
"Petarded" contains examples of:
- Acquired Situational Narcissism: Peter develops a pretentious attitude after he wins a game of Trivial Pursuit (that Lois rigged with questions from the preschool edition).
- Bait-and-Switch: In a Cutaway Gag, when a man in 1945 Hiroshima who got a parking ticket and mud splashed on his asks how his day can get any worse, he sees something falling above him and says "Oh...my...God". He gets attacked by a monkey.
- Brick Joke: A Cutaway Gag shows a National Geographic documentary about firetrucks. At the very end, Peter gets attacked by a firetruck.
- Department of Child Disservices: Inverted, since Peter has given social services every reason to think he's a horrible father and place them with the more level-headed Cleveland in the meantime.
- Disability as an Excuse for Jerkassery: Peter takes advantage of his mental condition to do anything he wants, like going into the womens' bathroom and announcing "Testicles!" over a restaurant loudspeaker. It comes back to bite him in the ass later when Lois is put in the hospital for severe grease burns and the kids are taken away to live with Cleveland.
- Epic Fail: As mentioned above, Peter does so poorly on his exam that he's declared to be "mentally retarded" (technically-speaking).
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Even when trying to do good and prove he's a good father to social services, Peter interprets this as making Cleveland look like an even worse parental-figure by comparison (such as framing Cleveland for prostitution).
- Gave Up Too Soon: Quagmire spies on Meg's slumber party, but he gets bored by the mundane conversations. He loudly storms out, referring to this as a waste of his time.Ruth: That was weird. Hey, let's compare breasts!
[girls start taking their clothes off]
- Jerk Justifications: Peter uses every and any excuse to act like a complete prick to those around him. When he wins a rigged Trivial Pursuit he becomes conceited and talks down to everyone, when he discovers he is retarded he exploits his condition to get away with any trouble he causes. When it finally bites him back and he has to prove his entitlement to his kids, he decides to do so by framing Cleveland (their current guardian) for mistreatment. By the end of the episode, he's got back his family and implied to still be acting like a narcissistic douchebag, just now over being retarded of all things.
- Karma Houdini: Played with, as Peter doesn't get any retribution for his antics because he's legally retarded.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Unless you count Peter being attacked by a firetruck at the end.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Peter after Lois' ends up in the hospital because of his shenanigans.
- Never My Fault: Peter complains in court about "getting the bum rap" just for being retarded, disregarding even outside his stupidity, he had used his condition to act like an irresponsible jerk to his friends and family. The judge unsurprisingly debunks this, telling Peter straight up he is a monster.
- Precision F-Strike: Brain, after being proven right about Peter not being a genius.Brian: YEEEEAH, IN YOUR FUCKING FACE, FUCKWAD!!! (beat) I...I'm sorry.
- Reality Ensues:
- Peter's attempts to exploit Disability as an Excuse for Jerkassery end up getting his kids taken away by Child Services after he's deemed mentally unfit to take care of them when his attempt to steal a grease fryer lands Lois in the hospital.
- When he finds out that he's mentally retarded, Peter initially feels humiliated and dehumanized by the number of precautions being made for him. This is very much Truth in Television for people who find out later in life that they have a mental disability.
- Status Quo Is God: After losing the case, Peter laments he's lost everything and is going to give up. Lois then immediately walks in, fully recovered, with the kids, and thankful that everything is back to normal.
- Suddenly SHOUTING!:
- A professor of Rhode Island State Office of Mental Health gets rather flustered when the officially mentally retarded Peter Griffin corrects him on a mistake.
- Brian dips into it as well while rubbing in Peter's face that he was right about Peter not really being a genius.Brian: You know, Peter, I hate to say "I told you so" about not being a genius, but... EEEYEAH! IN YOUR FUCKING FACE, FUCKWAD! (beat) I...I'm sorry.
- Take That!: On Peter's intelligence chart "Retarded" is below "Average" and above "Creationist"
- Peter telling Brian that his putting Lois in the hospital for severe grease burns and losing custody of his kids is "turning out worst than Stewie's I Pod commercial." Cue the cutaway gag of Stewie dancing to "Warrior" by Scandal on his iPod.
- Too Dumb to Live: Peter—justified in that this episode reveals that, technically speaking, he's mentally retarded, so all those past times he did stupid things was presumably because of mental retardation.
- The entire cast decide to play Paintball with actual guns. Only Lois briefly questions the idea.Peter: Alright, alright. Nobody fire at Lois, she's scared.
- The entire cast decide to play Paintball with actual guns. Only Lois briefly questions the idea.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Lois and Brian. Because Lois let Peter win at Trivial Pursuit, Peter became convinced that he was a genius. Brian essentially challenging Peter to prove that he was a genius led to Peter taking an intelligence test that labelled him as "mentally retarded". This soon led to Peter exploiting this for as long as possible until the consequences caught up to him.
- You Monster!: The Judge says this to Peter, unfazed by his Rousing Speech.