Papa Smurf recounts a time before Empath's final return from Psychelia where he had Tapper run a "Smurf No To Smurfnip" campaign to keep his little Smurfs drug-free... only for Gargamel to use smurfnip-laced smurfberries as a weapon against them.
This story provides the following examples of:
- Cigarette of Anxiety: Grouchy tries to resist the temptation of smoking a smurfnip cigarette, but ends up succumbing to it and almost being arrested by Brainy and Hefty posing as police officers.
- Closest Thing We Got: When the village is affected by the smurfnip-laced smurfberries, Tracker and Sickly must work together to restore the Smurfs to normal and mix up the antidote to smurfnip intoxication. Sickly says that neither he nor Tracker are alchemists like Papa Smurf, but Tracker says that he himself knows the difference between various types of plants, so he's the closest thing the village has to an apothecary.
- Drugs Are Bad: Papa Smurf has Tapper head a campaign to show that smurfnip is supposedly bad for the other Smurfs. The true Aesop of the story is more treating recreational drug users like criminals is bad, as Hefty and Brainy go around throughout the story as police officers that bust Smurfs for even having a smurfnip joint in their possession.
- Everybody Must Get Stoned: The Smurfs eating smurfnip-laced smurfberries, with one of the Smurfs actually singing a Smurf version of a Bob Dylan song.
- Fantastic Drug: Smurfnip, which is used as a stand-in for pot with the associated Marijuana Is LSD trope. A telltale way to know that someone is stoned on smurfnip is that the whites of their eyes turn green.
- Goggles Do Something Unusual: Handy creates a pair of glasses called the Hallucinator, which is supposed to simulate the visual effects of being under the influence of smurfnip (including a rainbow-colored haze). They were originally created as a tool for Smurfs to say no to smurfnip. By the end of the story, Vanity wears them because he likes looking at himself while wearing them.
- Government Drug Enforcement: Empath mentions that all Psyches in Psychelia are required to take a drug called psychelium, which inhibits their ability to express emotions.
- High on Catnip: Gargamel sees Azrael staggering to the door baked on catnip.
- Marijuana Is LSD: Smurfnip acts like this with its users. One of Smurfette's hallucinations while under the influence is seeing Vexy and Hackus from The Smurfs 2. Also in the story, Handy created a special pair of glasses that simulate the visual effects of being under the influence of smurfnip.