Traveler looks into the alternate timeline of Smurfette and sees what her life would be like if she fell in love with Papa Smurf.
This story provides the following examples of:
- Abusive Parent: Papa Smurf turns into one when Sassette dares to say that Papa Smurf never really loved Smurfette, but took her away from the one who truly loved her, Empath. Although Papa Smurf regrets having done that soon afterward, it immediately causes the destruction of his new nuclear family as Smurfette takes their daughter and goes off into the forest with Polaris Psyche and the Smurflings in order to find the time-lost Smurfs, leaving Papa Smurf with only Baby Smurf to look after. And even Baby Smurf is not happy about that.
- Consolation Backfire: After being abandoned by all but one of the Smurfs (Baby Smurf) near the end of the alternate timeline story, Papa Smurf turns to Baby, hoping to gain some comfort from his presence, but Baby Smurf just cries, realizing that he is also being left behind.
- Drowning My Sorrows: The successful exile of Papa Smurf, Smurfette, their daughter, and Polaris Psyche from the village (and the subsequent departure of the Smurflings and Baby Smurf) resulted in Empath turning to alcoholism to deal with the heartbreak of never marrying Smurfette.
- I Have No Son!: Papa Smurf disavows any relationship he had with "his former little Smurfs", including that Empath was his only biological son, when he hears that those Smurfs were now lost in time and Smurfette makes the suggestion that they should go and try to bring those time-lost Smurfs home.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Many of the adult Smurfs end up having Tapper's sarsaparilla ale instead of smurfberry wine after witnessing Smurfette marrying Papa Smurf in an alternate timeline. Duncan McSmurf, needing something much stronger than sarsaparilla ale, resorts to the Cigarette of Anxiety by smoking smurfnip.
- Insignia Ripoff Ritual: Empath as the leader of La Résistance in the Smurf Village removes Papa Smurf's red hat and replaces it with a white hat while he replaces his own black star-spangled hat with Papa Smurf's red hat, symbolically showing that Papa Smurf no longer deserves to be recognized as the village leader and that Empath will now take over the position.
- Knitting Pregnancy Announcement: Papa Smurf sees Smurfette with a pair of knitting needles and some baby booties and assumes that she's knitting them for Baby Smurf, until he realizes that she isn't from her reaction. However, the knitting of booties isn't used here to announce a pregnancy, but to signal to Papa Smurf that she wants to have a child with him. He gladly obliges by picking her up and taking her away from the kitchen to be alone with her.
- The Mutiny: Empath leads a secret mutiny against Papa Smurf after he marries Smurfette, recruiting Smurfs without anyone's notice. By the time Smurfette gives birth to Papa Smurf's child, the entire adult male Smurf population of the village has turned against Papa Smurf, and Empath signifies the change of authority by replacing Papa Smurf's red hat for a white hat while replacing his own star-spangled hat for Papa Smurf's red hat.
- Never Say That Again: Papa Smurf marries Smurfette, has a child through her, and gets exiled from the Smurf Village by his little Smurfs. Later he receives word that his little Smurfs in the village, including his son Empath (which he disowns), were all trapped in time delivering a baby dinosaur back home, and all Papa Smurf can say to that is good riddance. Sassette daringly says that maybe Empath was right in that Papa Smurf had stolen Smurfette from his little Smurfs, including Empath, and Papa Smurf gets so upset that he slaps Sassette in the face and shouts, "DON'T EVER SMURF EMPATH'S NAME AGAIN!" This leads to his eventual downfall as all the other Smurfs who were with him finally depart from him.
- Parental Incest: While not biologically related, the MayDecember Romance of Papa Smurf and Smurfette in the story is squicky enough for the other Smurfs to treat it as that to the point where some even cover their eyes when they both kiss each other at the wedding.
- La Résistance: Empath leads one against Papa Smurf in the alternate timeline where he marries Smurfette.
- Sequel: To "Papa's Big Crush".
- Symbolically Broken Object: Tapper keeps a broken picture of Smurfette on the wall of his tavern as a symbol that Smurfette's choice of marrying Papa Smurf has even deeply affected him despite his initial reaction of just letting things be no matter how distasteful they may seem.
- Time Stands Still: Traveler makes time stand still when he touches Smurfette and travels back and forward through time with her to explore this alternate timeline, although this effect is just only what happens around him. When time resumes its course, Empath and Smurfette continue on as if nothing had happened...except for maybe Smurfette seeing a part of her life flash before her eyes, but that's it.
- You're Just Jealous: Smurfette pulls this one on Empath when he sees her and Papa Smurf in a relationship together, only this time she wasn't joking.