An adaptation of the comic book story "The Jewel Smurfer" with Empath taking the place of Jokey. In this story, Empath becomes amnesiac and taken by a couple of traveling showmen, who then run into a former associate of theirs named Vincent Devereaux, who forces them to use Empath to commit various robberies of the townsfolk. Papa Smurf, Smurfette, Brainy, Hefty, and Grouchy venture into the human towns in search of Empath.
This story provides the following examples of:
- Adaptation Name Change: Adhemar and Godilot, the two showmen, were respectively renamed Stanley and Simon.
- Big "SHUT UP!": Lord Caravellan interrupts the play the Smurfs put on by suddenly pounding on the table and saying "ENOUGH!" when he realizes that the story of the play is revealing something too close to home.
- Criminal Amnesiac: Empath, though he comes off as a sort of Anti-Villain.
- False Friend: Ganelon is revealed to be this to Lord Caravellan, having kidnapped the duke's son and held him hostage to extort a ransom from the duke. The Smurfs know about this and put on a Show Within a Show to expose Ganelon as a traitor.
- Named by the Adaptation:
- The nameless thief of Abelagot is named Vincent Devereaux.
- The Duke of Abelagot is named Lord Caravellan.
- Non-Fatal Explosions: Empath, who somehow in his amnesiac state remembers how Jokey assembles his "surprises", plays a prank on Vincent Devereaux.
- Retcon: Not only does Empath take the place of Jokey in this adaptation, but also Smurfette takes the place of Greedy.
- Show Within a Show: The Smurfs use a play to frame not only a thief who's after Lord Caravellan's treasure, but also the duke's supposed friend who kidnapped his son.