Continuing to feign loyalty to the Taelons, Boone searches for his wife's killer. When Da'an confronts him about that, he first asks if Da'an ordered her death. Da'an claims he didn't. Boone explains that the bomb that killed his wife was likely meant for him as retaliation for saving Da'an, so Da'an permits the investigation to continue. Boone uses the CVI to recall the image of his wife's killer and goes to Augur, a hacker he knows. Augur manages to locate the killer, who turns out to be a hired gun. When Boone corners the killer, Sandoval shows up, and Boone realizes that Sandoval was the one who had his wife killed. Sandoval's reasoning is that his marriage would have fallen apart after getting the CVI, just like Sandoval's did, forcing him to commit his wife to a mental hospital.
- Every Car Is a Pinto: The killer's signature is using a special device to turn a fuel cell car into a bomb. Boone demonstrates it to Lily by rigging three cars in a similar manner and detonating them.
- Night-Vision Goggles: When entering Augur's warehouse, the killer uses a rifle with an infrared scope which makes everything look green but is somehow able to make out glowing outlines of two people in Augur's "command center" but not the computers right next to them.
- Playful Hacker: Augur manages to find the killer of Boone's wife. However, his attempts alert the killer, who rigs his apartment to explode in anticipation of Boone.
- Photographic Memory: The CVI allows Boone to perfectly recall the face of a man he saw at a glance, even though he was clearly out of focus when he first saw him.
- Playful Hacker: Augur lives in a warehouse with a state-of-the-art "command center" in a secure room. He causes a blip in the Taiwan Stock Exchange, "borrows" a new model of a computer avatar before it hits the market, and can hack into the NCIC without leaving a trace.
- The Reveal: Sandoval had Boone's wife killed. He also had his own wife committed because she couldn't handle the change in her husband after he got his CVI.