Jack and Annie realize their children are too dependent to even be left alone and decide to give them more responsibility; tasked with a simple grocery store trip, Duncan and Kimberly somehow wind up in Mexico.
- Continuity Nod:
- The kids are seen watching the Dora The Explorer Expy Hector The Detector from the episode 'Sister, Wife'. Also Bradley from the same episode reappears and kickstarts the plot by recommending Free Range Parenting to Annie and Jack.
- The Creepy Doll from 'Red Head Redemption' makes a reappearance and it's revealed that the ashes of Annie's grandmother are inside it.
- A coked up Annie reenacts Jing's cartwheel scene from the pilot.
- Fed to the Beast: For being one dollar short, El Espantoso feeds the dealer to his pet crocodiles.
- Funny Background Event: As Duncan and Kimberly talk to El Espantoso, the dealer is trying to keep from being fed to the crocodiles.
- Identical Strangers: El Espantoso's children look like hispanic versions of Duncan and Kimberly.
- Mistaken for Pedophile: Annie watches behind a bush as Duncan buys underwear. She is caught by a guard, and she explains what she's doing by saying "I'm just watching this nice boy buy underwear", which certainly didn't help.
- Names to Run Away From: The drug dealer Duncan and Kimberly meet is named El Espantoso, Spanish for "the scary one".
- Too Dumb to Live: Duncan attempts to extinguish the burning oven by taking the fire extinguisher and placing it inside where the flames are.