While on patrol for the Screaming Death, Hiccup, Toothless, Fishlegs and the twins discover an injured Scauldron on Changewing island. The Scauldron rebuffs their attempts to help, and no one but Ruffnut can calm it down.
- Actually Pretty Funny: Hiccup smiles on seeing how Astrid's flirting is making Snotlout feel "sick".
- Animation Bump: Ruffnut's hair is more detailed in this episode.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Snotlout after months of flirting has Astrid turn the tables on him and claim that he "won" her over. It freaks him out and makes him sick to his stomach.
- Berserk Button: Barf and Belch charge at Scauldy when he gets too close to Ruffnut for comfort.
- Bifauxnen: Short-hair Ruffnut.Tuffnut: Has anyone told you you look like a boy?Ruffnut: Has anyone told you?
- But Thou Must!: Enforced; Toothless, Meatlug, Barf, and Belch refuse to let their riders give up on helping Scauldy.
- Territorial Changewings end up threatening the Scauldron.
- Reaching one's hand towards a dragon, and the dragon closing the distance with its nose, AKA the way to tell if a bond has been established.
- A Dog Named "Dog": Scauldy the Scauldron. In this case, Scauldy is short for Scalding Painful Death.
- Dude, Not Funny!: In-universe, Hiccup is unamused at Ruff's impression of him since he doesn't sound like that. "And PS, my leg didn't fall off!"
- Exact Time to Failure: Scauldy's skin acts as this; it goes from green to gray as he dries out.
- False Reassurance: Tuffnut assures his sister that if Scauldy kills her, it will be quick, mostly painless, and really cool to watch.
- Hidden Depths: Tuffnut was once scared of the dark, and Ruffnut was scared of her brother.
- Hold the Line: The riders have to defend Scauldy from Changewings at several points in the episode.
- If You Die, I Call Your Stuff: Tuffnut calls dibs on Toothless in case Hiccup gets killed by Scauldy.
- Important Haircut: Important for the episode anyway, Ruffnut uses her braids to complete Scauldy's wing splint.
- Ironic Nursery Tune: Ruffnut sings a version of "Hush Little Baby" to Scauldy to calm him down. The lyrics are normal for the setting, but kind of bloody to the viewers.Hush little Viking, don't you cry
Or The Berserker will stab you in the eye.
Don't let the enemy see you afraid,
Or he's gonna gut you with a rusty blade.
If that dragon hears your moans,
He's gonna mash up all your bones.
I promise Scauldy if you don't kill me,
- Then she starts making up lyrics:
My friends and I will get you out to sea!
- My Eyes Are Up Here: Inverted somewhat; Astrid tells Snotlout that the island they're patrolling is "down there". Snotlout responds with "But your eyes are up here."
- No Guy Wants to Be Chased: Astrid turns the tables on Snotlout by pretending to be won over by his flirting, and coming onto him the same way he does to her. By the end of the episode, he wants to get away from her.
- The Pig-Pen: Ruffnut puts fish oil in her hair, to complete her "greasy, unwashed look." It works to her advantage, because Scauldy won't attack her since she smells like his habitat.
- Race Against the Clock: The riders need to help Scauldy before the sun dries him out.
- Status Quo Is God: Ruffnut's hair is back to normal by the next episode, and Snotlout goes right back to hitting on Astrid.
- This Looks Like a Job for Aquaman: Ruffnut is the only rider that Scauldy trusts, because of the fish oil in her hair. She manages to calm it with a lullaby long enough for the riders to help.
- Unwanted Rescue: The Scauldron is unwilling to be helped at first because it's scared and in defense mode.
- Your Princess Is in Another Castle!: With Ruffnut's help the riders are able to get the rocks of Scauldy, but then they see that his wing needs a splint.