Snotlout becomes convinced he is dying having seen "The five signposts of Valhalla", and wants young Gustav to be his replacement. Gustav decides to get a dragon of his own (named Fanghook) and join the academy whether they want him to or not.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Snotlout, when he realizes that the others are suddenly eager to let Gustav take his place.
- Buried Alive: Snotlout wants Hookfang buried with him when he dies. The other riders and Hookfang are displeased by this idea.
- Didn't Think This Through: When he first meets Fanghook, Gustav realizes Hiccup may have had a point about him not being ready.
- Hypocritical Humor: Snotlout proudly takes credit for teaching Gustav how to disrespect authority, only to get offended by Gustav's unoriginal name for his dragon. He also belittles the twins for not being able to count to nine, when earlier in the episode he held up four fingers instead of three and Gustav had to correct him.
- I Just Want to Be Badass: Gustav wants to be a Dragon Rider like the teens. Unfortuantely, he's ditzy and immature, and while he will have what it takes one day, this episode is not said day.
- I Lied: In the end, Gustav doesn't really let Fanghook go, and the two happily reunite after the teens have left the scene.
- I Meant to Do That: Gustav says this word for word when Fanghook bucks him into the Dragon Academy.
- Insult Backfire: Astrid points out that only great warriors see the Five Signposts of Valhalla. Snotlout just asks "What's your point?"
- Last Day to Live: Snotlout believes he's going to die for the first half of the episode.
- Mistaken for Afterlife: Snotlout wonders why Valhalla looks just as bad as his life, only to be told he merely fainted after seeing the fifth signpost.
- Mistaken for Dying: Snotlout, to himself, due to allegedly seeing the five signposts of Valhalla. The "signposts" were just pranks planted by the twins.
- Oh, Crap!: Gustav, after he smacks Fanghook in the face with a fish.
- Replacement Goldfish: Snotlout invokes this by choosing Gustav as his successor for after his not actually impending death.
- Soap Opera Disease: Parodied, Snoutlout's insistence of his impending death comes off as this.
- Spanner in the Works: Gustav — his completely unexpected interference helps ruin Dagur's plan.