Many years ago, a few guys got together to produce a Gag Dub of Dragon Ball Z: Dead Zone. This eventually led to some of these guys starting Team Four Star and launching Dragon Ball Z Abridged. But that early, pre-TFS version of Dead Zone Abridged remained an outlier, even an Old Shame. Well, in 2013, Team Four Star decided to do something about that... and so the new, official TFS version of Dead Zone Abridged was born!
Piccolo is attacked, and Kami realizes that Garlic Jr. has returned. Garlic's henchmen set out to gather the Dragon Balls, kidnapping Gohan and the four-star ball on his hat in the process, setting up Garlic Jr.'s wish for immortality.
Then Goku shows up looking to rescue Gohan (because Chi Chi would be mad at him otherwise), Kami shows up to confront Garlic Jr., Krillin shows up to help with the rescue, and Piccolo shows up because he wants revenge for the attack. Can they work together to stop this threat and save Gohan? Will Garlic Jr. destroy the world with his Dead Zone portal? Will Goku ever find that meatery? And will Krillin get a fat payday for the movie rights?
Tropes unique to this special
- All Just a Dream: The entire special was just Krillin pitching an idea for a movie to Nappa.
- Call-Forward: From Piccolo: " I'm gonna steal that kid."
- Didn't Think This Through: Garlic Jr's plan involved killing Piccolo before wishing for immortality. If it wasn't for his henchmen's incompetence, he would never have been able to get his wish.
- Drama Queen: Mr. Popo calls Kami out as one over his reaction to the attack on Piccolo.
- Innocently Insensitive: Goku to Piccolo over the latter's lack of a house.
- Lampshade Hanging: All of the plot inconsistencies and Villain Ball moments are mentioned.
- Mythology Gag:
- When Krillin is trying to avoid falling debris, he can be heard shouting "crap" in tune to the theme of Tetris. In the original version of that scene, his line was "this is why I hate Tetris!"
- Ginger's last words were "What a... douchebag". Douchebag was the name he was given the pre-Team Four Star version of the special.
- Oh, Crap!: Garlic Jr. When he realizes his incompetent minions kidnapped Goku's son and beat up his wife and father-in-law.
- Running Gag: Goku looking for the meadery.
- Shout-Out: When Garlic Jr. gets knocked into a wall, he says "Of course you know, this means war!"
- Stunned Silence: Shenron does quiet for a moment when Garlic Jr. wishes for immortality, as the last time that somebody actually had the nerve to wish for that is longer than he can remember.
- Sure, Let's Go with That: Right before Kami self-destructs, Piccolo stops him so that he(Kami) won't kill them both. Garlic Jr. then remarks that Piccolo must have eluded his men before arriving. Unknown to Garlic, Goku and Piccolo already killed his men up to that point however, Piccolo in his own snarky way both confirmed their deaths while making it clear he didn't feel like arguing.Garlic Jr: I see you've eluded my men.
Piccolo: Yeah, sure, let's go with that.
Garlic Jr: (irritated) Oh god... They're all dead aren't, they.
Goku: (suddenly appearing) Yup. Good thing they were so incontinent.
- Surrounded by Idiots: The Spice Boys are all very incompetent and even they know it.