Dr Wheelo's evil assistant Kochin seeks a new body for his master. The search for the World's Strongest man leads him to a conflict with Son Goku and friends.
- Anti-Villain: Dr. Wheelo. All he wanted was a body, and even then he was horrified when it turned they didn't need to kidnap anyone for it.
- Arm Cannon: Kochin's arm turn out to be a minigun.
- Badass Boast: Roshi's response to Kochin saying he'll be abducted shortly after kicking the crap out of the Biomen.Roshi: Are the bodies not a clear indication of how this is gonna go down?
- Beyond the Impossible: Dr. Wheelo somehow manages to cry while bemoaning his inability to see the Earth's beauty, despite lacking tear ducts.Gohan: Hey, Dr. Wheelo, I... wait. Are you crying?
Wheelo: I physically can't, but I'm just so sa-a-a-a-ad!
- Brain Critical Mass: Everybody seems to think that, being a Brain in a Jar, Dr. Wheelo has to have Psychic Powers. Dr. Wheelo himself is mystified by this assumption.Gohan: Dad, I think Dr. Wheelo's controlling [Piccolo]!
Wheelo: But I am a BRAIN in a jar!
Goku: So you admit it!
- Brain in a Jar: Dr. Wheelo. He repeatedly states this, because apparently it's unclear to the other characters.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Piccolo ends up hitting Gohan after Kochin experiments on him. Goku, of course, checks whether or not this counts as training.
- Butt-Monkey: Yamcha, once again. He gets downed by one of the Biomen in the exact same fashion as a Saibaman did to him, and Piccolo regards as no more than an example of what not to do. His defeat is even treated as Funny Background Event when Gohan reflects on the event. About the only bones thrown to him were that the cold of the Arctic didn't bother him like it did Piccolo and Gohan and that at least he survived this time.
- Continuity Nod: When Chi-Chi asks if Gohan is on drugs, he affirms that "it was just the one apple, Mom." This refers to the drug trip he took after eating an apple in Garlic Jr.'s castle in the Dead Zone movie.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Roshi beats the shit out the encroaching Biomen, claiming he doesn't hold back when he's high.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Despite being a giant Brain in a Jar with a robot body in a frozen lair with an evil assistant, Dr. Wheelo is very much not evil, spending most of the movie horrified at Kochin's deeds.
- Didn't See That Coming: Shenron, being so used to only ever being summoned by the Z warriors and their group, wakes up and casually starts asking "what do you assholes want this time", only to be utterly stunned when he sees he's been summoned by Kochin, who he's never seen before, and hastily gets into character.
- Do Wrong, Right: When Goku finds out that Master Roshi was kidnapped because he was mistaken as the World's Strongest, Goku immediately hops on Nimbus to fix this mistake.
- HeelFace Turn: Wheelo was an Anti-Villain oncologist who just wanted a new body because his old one died (ironically of cancer) and ultimately snaps from having spent 50 years alone as an immobile brain and then having to watch Kochin perform atrocities while being helpless to do anything, but in the end when Gohan thinks of a way to give him a new body (namely wishing for one from Shenron), he willingly surrenders to wait until they can summon Shenron to do it.
- Immune to Bullets: Krillin no longer feels them.
- Insistent Terminology: Everyone mistakes the Biomen for Saibamen, to their chagrin. Even Kochin makes the error, and one of the angrily corrects him midsentence.
- Karmic Death: After spending so much time repurposing Dr. Wheelo's inventions for evil, Kochin ends up getting killed when the doctor himself sends him falling into a dark abyss with the exoskeleton suit that Kochin designed for him.
- Lampshade Hanging:
- Just as in the Neighborhood Cluck version of the movie, Shenron notes that it would make much more sense for Kochin to have used the wish to give himself powers in order to melt the ice. At the very least, it would have helped out in case the lair got frozen over again.
- When Gohan says that he wants to help Piccolo because he heard screaming, Oolong asks him to name a fight that doesn't feature somebody screaming.
- My Brain Is Big: Dr. Wheelo's brain is estimated to be the size of a golden retriever. Not the dog's brain, the actual golden retriever. When Gohan suggests that it's the size of a greyhound, he gasps out in horror "The BUS?!" When he gains a human form, thanks to Shenron, the almighty dragon doesn't shrink the size of his brain leading to a mass at least twice his body on top of his head.
- Mythology Gag: Wheelo's original names for Electrocutioner, Bouncy Butcher, and Freezer were Zap Zap, Blub-Blub, and Brr, noting the names they had back in the Neighborhood Cluck adaptation.
- Non Sequitur, *Thud*: When Goku gets blown up by his own Spirit Bomb, he groans out "Good work, team...!"
- No-Sell: Krillin ignores Kochin blasting him with simple gun fire from his machine-gun-arm.
- Parental Substitute: Goku cheerfully agrees that he's a bad role model for Gohan, but that's what Piccolo is there for.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Mind-controlled Piccolo has red eyes. Goku asks if he's been hanging around Master Roshi (who was previously seen baking pot brownies).
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Wheelo finally snaps thanks to Kochin's cruelty, discovers he has a giant mechanical exoskeleton, and proceeds to go completely berserk until he gets launched into orbit and sees the Earth from space.
- Running Gag:
- Immediately after getting unleashed from his brainwashing, Piccolo tells Gohan to dodge before striking him.
- The "Kaio-What?" gag returns, with Wheelo being the one confused this time.
- Kochin's obsession with finding a body with a penis.
- Wheelo having to state he's a Brain in a Jar.
- The Biomen being mistaken for Saibamen.
- Shout-Out: The end credits are played over a song about Wheelo and Kochin done in the tune of the Pinky and the Brain theme.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: When the Biomen start to threaten Turtle:Turtle: I'm 999 years old. I don't give a fuck.
- Spared by the Adaptation: Rather than destroying him with the Spirit Bomb, the heroes decide to wish Dr. Wheelo a new body. Unfortunately, due to the large size of his brain, his head is left looking oddly disproportionate to the rest of his body. That said, Wheelo happily thanks the Z-Warriors for their generosity, so he either doesn't notice or feel pain from the change or is comfortable enough with it.
- Subverted by the time Broly rolls around, as it turns out Wheelo has passed away of brain cancer.
- Up to Eleven: Dr. Wheelo is aghast to find out his brain is the size of a golden retriever. When someone thinks it's the size of a greyhound, he's shocked and whimpers "the BUS?!"