"Oh, that's that good shit! Suck it, kale, you bush-league super food!"
—Perfect Cell, after Goku tosses him a senzu bean
Original Airdate: June 23, 2017The fight between Goku and Cell continues, but a last minute change will either turn the tide or doom us all!
I will tie him to a chair and gag him with goddamn tropes!
- Big "YES!": Cell, when it looks like Goku is about to end the Games by killing everyone.
- Borrowed Catchphrase:
- Cell says "Oh crapbaskets!" right before Goku hits him with the Instant Kamehameha.
- Goku borrows Krillin's "Senzu bean!"
- Brick Joke:
- Trunks mentions that he's getting "Dad Flashbacks" when it looks like Goku is going to blow up the planet.
- Jimmy Firecracker again mentions that Goku is a wife-beater.
- Another mention of Cell's perfect jawline.
- Cell wonders if Instant Transmission is another technique Goku stole.
- Yamcha's comment about Vegeta and Tien having a "mutual hate-boner" for each other in Episode 57 is brought up again when, noting the mutual hatred Cell, Vegeta, and Tien all have towards each other, Yamcha claims that it's like "some sorta hate-boner triangle".
- Call-Forward: Videl comments that Gohan has "sweet hair" in reference to their eventual relationship.
- Combat Pragmatist: Trunks when Piccolo remarks about how tired Goku is.Trunks: Wait! What about the Senzu Beans!? You know, the magical beans... that heal all wounds... and... restore your stamina? (realizing no one is answering) OK guys, if you're bothered by cheating, either loosen your moral code or STOP HINGING THE FATE OF THE WORLD ON DEATH MATCHES!!
- Cut His Heart Out with a Spoon: Chi-chi declares, while swinging the TV around in her fury, that she'll castrate her husband with a butter knife for tagging in Gohan to fight Cell.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Videl shows up at The Stinger, watching the switch up between Goku and Gohan.
- Foe Romance Subtext: Cranked up even further. Cell repeatedly insists that only Goku can complete him and the other heroes mean nothing, to the point that the entire "tournament" seems like his attempt at serenading Goku. When it looks like Goku's about to fire at the Earth, Cell is positively thrilled, saying it's only fitting they die together in a planetary explosion. He's suitably disappointed when Goku forfeits the match later.Goku: (after giving up) Cell, you knew what this was. Just a fight. Nothing more.
Cell: You bitch.
- Forgot About His Powers: Much like Goku did back in Season 2, Yamcha forgets all the characters can fly.
- Freudian Excuse: When Gohan retorts that Cell is made up of all their stolen DNA, Cell protests by saying:Cell: I didn't ask to be born, Dads!
- Honor Before Reason: Both subverted and played as straight as all hell. First, Goku actually concedes his match against Cell (infuriating Vegeta and Cell). But then, as he sends Gohan in to fight him, he gives Cell a senzu bean, as it wouldn't be fair to let the tired Cell face the unfatigued Gohan.
- Implied Death Threat: After Cell regenerates from losing the entire top portion of his body and justifies it by saying it's due to Piccolo's DNA.Piccolo: Okay, I am... 90 percent sure I can't do that.Cell: (dismissively) We'll figure that out later.
- Incredibly Lame Pun:Yamcha: Well, those guys with the camera better stop rolling, because it looks like Cell is going topless.
- Tien lets Yamcha have this one since everyone lived, but Vegeta doesn't approve.
- Instantly Proven Wrong: Vegeta insists Goku will see the fight to the end, only for Goku to immediately give up at that moment.
- Interplay of Sex and Violence: Carrying on from last episode, Cell and Goku continue with their flirtatious dialogue, but it's taken up a notch where Cell actually seems to lust for Goku intimately.
- Lampshade Hanging: The episode covers the big plothole of Cell regenerating his upper halfnote . He only brushes this attributing it to Piccolo's cells.Piccolo: OK, I'm... 90% sure I can't do that.
- Mama Bear: Saying that Chi-Chi was upset is an understatement. As soon as she heard that on TV, she shrieks a loud "I'M GOING TO CASTRATE HIM!!! [...] WITH A BUTTER KNIFE, YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!!"
- Oh, Crap!: Several!
- Goku, when he realizes that Cell's getting comfortable means blowing up the Cell Games Arena, and tells everyone to get out of the way JUST before the explosion.
- The Z-Fighters, when they fear Goku will destroy the Earth with a very powerful Kamehameha against Cell.
- Cell, when Goku Instant Transmissions in front of him while charging said Kamehameha.
- The Z-Fighters have a massive one when Goku decides to give a Senzu Bean to Cell before Gohan's fight starts.
- Papa Wolf: Piccolo has gone full on dad-mode, literally telling Goku on how to be a parent.
- Pet the Dog:
- When it looks like Cell is dead, Yamcha makes a quip and Tien lets him have it because it looks like they won with no deaths. Vegeta, on the other hand...
- After Goku announces that Gohan is taking his place, Cell exclaims that even Yamcha was in his killing list, as a Half-Time Entertainment. Yamcha takes it as a compliment because at least he was included in something.
- It's less likely Cell had him on the list to kill (as he seems to genuinely like Yamcha) and more that he was planning on Yamcha literally being the halftime show - probably performing his "Cat Loves Food" jingle.
- Slip into Something More Comfortable: Cell decides he and Goku need to do this... by destroying the ring.
- Speak in Unison: Cell and Vegeta's angry outbursts at Goku quitting make them talk in unison.
- Take That!: Cell's comment about Kale was referring to the vegetable, but it also doubles as a jab towards the character who was inspired by Broly.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Everyone - even Cell - calls out Goku's decision to tag in Gohan. It gets even worse when Goku decides to give Cell a Senzu Bean.
"Thinking of you, Goku!"