Original Airdate: March 24, 2017
It's the day of the Cell Games and it's finally put-up-or-shut-up time. As the Z Warriors prepare to battle Perfect Cell, Mr. Satan makes his presence known, ready to take the glory for his own.
These tropes are getting oddly personal:
- Break Them by Talking: Cell completely shuts down Mr. Satan in all his arrogance by questioning his past and private life.
- Goku once again gushes over how handsome Cell is.
- When Goku arrives on the Lookout and sees how downcast the others are, Goku thinks someone died, then panics as he fears that Yamcha died.
- When Vegeta doesn't answer Cell's questions on whether or not he's fighting in the tournament, Cell wonders if Vegeta's actually taking his advice from their last encounter and waiting for Goku.
- When at first, Android 16 doesn't say anything besides "Goku," Cell wonders if his fixation on killing Goku has gotten to the point where it's all 16 can say.
- Mr. Satan compares what he believes to be special effects that the Z-Fighters are using to appear seemingly out of thin air, to the ones he used in Skygina 2, the original Skygina, of course, being the Dead Zone Abridged movie idea Krillin pitched to Nappa.
- 16 once again refers to Krillin as a duckling.
- Perfect Cell remembers Tien's Shin Kikohou attack as he growls out his name and Tien, ever the troll, calls out to him "Kiko-how you doing?"
- Vegeta yells at Cell to kill Satan when he declares "I AM THE HYPE!"
- Once again, "Super Dragon Soul" from the Dragon Ball Kai soundtrack is used in a "The Day the Music Lied"-type scenario, playing as Mr. Satan charges at Cell, only to be launched into a cliff, just like when Krillin jokingly agreed with Gohan that they should help out Goku against Freeza.
- When Ox King 'hopes' he'll be lucky enough for Goku and Cell to kill each other (after seeing Goku's somewhat insensitive response to Chi Chi while leaving for the fight), Chi Chi responds indignantly. His reply? He only has enough money to feed two Saiyan mouths, and she has a third on the way. ...well, he's ''half'' right...
- 16 tells Krillin that the repairs Capsule Corp. performed upon him make him feel "ten kilograms lighter." It's because they removed the bomb Gero placed in him.
- Mr Satan mentions that he has a daughter, though he doesn't refer to Videl by name.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Just like canon, Cell makes short work of Satan. It's a lot more painful than in the original, leaving a blood smear.
- Continuity Nod: Krillin tells Goku that the last time he fought Cell, he ended up getting Tambourine'd.Explanation
- Death by Adaptation: In the source material, Piiza, Caroni, and Piroshki arrive just before Hercule fights Cell, with the latter two requesting a chance to take Cell on so that Hercule doesn't waste his energy on the fight. After they get easily beaten, they and Piiza spend the rest of the Cell Games arc hanging around Hercule and trying to avoid getting blown away by the massive amounts of energy being thrown around. Here, Cell simply blows up the helicopter they arrive in before they can even land, and, for good measure, what is probably Caroni's charred corpse lands right in front of Mr. Satan. As an interesting fact, Hercule's students were created by Toei exclusively for the anime.
- Didn't Think This Through: When Mr. Satan arrives, Cell begins to regret making the tournament an open invite.
- Dude, Not Funny!:
Krillin: Maybe if we're lucky it'll be that quick with this Satan guy, huh?
- Goku is so excited about fighting Perfect Cell, but the others are absolutely terrified of facing the man, because they already faced him in some manner and they know he'll turn them into a smear on the wall. Chi-Chi's even more terrified because she doesn't want to lose Gohan because of Goku's stupid antics.
- Krillin snarks to Gohan that Cell should take Hercule out quickly and get him out of their collective hair. As this comment came right after Cell obliterated a helicopter filled with three humans right in front of everyone, Gohan disapproves.
Gohan: Krillin, people are dying and we're just watching.
- Evolving Credits: This is the first episode to mention Dragon Ball Super and Shueisha in the disclaimer.
- Fun with Subtitles: Continuing with the trend from Broly, this episode features its own "Canadian" subtitles mostly featuring commentary and fun jabs at the plot and Mr. Satan.
- Idiot Hero: Goku continues to march down into this direction as he reasons that Satan goes first because he's the current World Tournament Champion.
- Implied Death Threat: When Mr Satan lists Videl as someone who likes him beyond his wealth and title, Cell's response is "Oh that poor orphan."
- Inner Thoughts, Outsider Puzzlement: When Goku introduces himself to Android 16, a musical number begins playing showing how long 16 has been waiting to kill Goku... and this goes on and on, with 16 giving Goku a Death Glare the whole time. Goku eventually gives up on the handshake and makes a comment on the whole thing. 16 doesn't actually snap out of his inner preoccupation until after the credits.
- Intrepid Reporter: Jimmy FirecrackerJimmy Firecracker: Jimmy Firecracker here, live from the Cell Games (presented by Hetap). Because apparently nobody else would take this job. But don't worry about me, because Jimmy Fire crack corn and he don't give a f*ck. He'll take any job, he'll take every job, he'll take your job. And speaking of jobs, nobody else is here yet. Will Jimmy Firecracker have to get in that ring? Does Jimmy Firecracker gotta come down there and SLAP that perfect jawline?! [car drives up] It looks like Cell is saved the wrath of Jimmy Firecracker as his first opponent has arrived.
- Know When to Fold 'Em: Jimmy Firecracker wisely backs down from his attempts to interview Vegeta when he threatens to "give him a colonoscopy with his camera".Jimmy Firecracker: Message received, Violent Stranger!
- My God, You Are Serious: Cell is incredulous when it turns out Mr Satan wasnt just posturing and really does intend to fight him.
- Person as Verb: Tambourine, King Piccolo's Dragon from the original Dragon Ball is treated like this, with Krillin comparing Cell previously snapping his neck to Tambourine doing the same thing.
- Pet the Dog: Out of everyone other than Goku, Cell is nice to Yamcha of all people. While his compliment paid to Yamcha may have been meant as a dig at Vegeta, who was present at the time, Cell's tone was amiable, and nothing he said suggested he was directing any malice toward Yamcha.Cell: And Yamcha! What a suprise! How's it been man?
Yamcha: Oh..Uh..Good! I brought towels and waterbottles.
Cell: And like that, you've already contributed more than Vegeta.
- Precision F-Strike: Jimmy Firecracker's reaction to getting forcefully shoved out of the way by Hercule.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Cell delivers an epic one at Mr. Satan after Satan challenges him to a duel of words:Satan: Now what do you have to say to that?
Satan: Oh, what's the matter? Satan got your tongue?
Cell: Are you sure about this?
Satan: Speak up bug boy.
Cell: You look like an extra from a budget porno flick. The kind where everyone gets tested afterwards. Even the cameraman.
Satan: Oh. Um, you're—
Cell: Did they find you in the subway? Were you homeless? Did you get your start in Bum Fights?
Satan: This is getting oddly personal...
Cell: Do you have any actual friends? Any relationships at all that aren't about your money or your position?
Satan: [weakly] I have a daughter...
Cell: Oh, that poor orphan.
Satan: C-can we cut to commercial?
- Part of the score for Lost plays during Goku and Chi-Chi's conversation.
- The song running through Android 16's head after he meets Goku for the first time is "I Have Waited So Long" by Foreigner.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: Cell is carrying a grudge against Tien, greeting everyone else amicably but unable to conceal his displeasure when he speaks to him. Reasonable, considering he's the only one to attack Cell that Cell never got a chance to return the favour to.
- Snark-to-Snark Combat: Satan challenges Cell to a battle of words before starting their battle of fists. Suffice to say, Satan was as unprepared for this as the actual fight with Cell. By the end of it, the man has to cut the cameras and take some time to pull it together again. The also doubles as a "The Reason You Suck" Speech which can be viewed above.
- Strange Minds Think Alike: Goku's opinion of Cell and his perfect jawline are shared by Jimmy Firecracker.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Gohan to Krillin, though it's about all the Z Fighters (including himself).Gohan: ...Krillin, people are dying and we're just watching.
- Who Would Be Stupid Enough?: Krillin scoffs at the idea that anyone besides them would be stupid enough to turn up at the games. Cut to Jimmy Firecracker.
- You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!:
- Pretty much all the main cast's reaction to Mr. Satan - except Goku.
- Mr. Satan has the same reaction to the main cast's arrival, indignantly saying that, as the World's Martial Arts Champion, there's no way he should be playing second fiddle to "a bunch of gym rats with too much time on their hands."
"WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!"