Krillin: Bitchin'! Let's go hang at Kame House!
Original Airdate: November 24, 2014
With Cell on the loose, and the Androids still hunting for Goku, things are looking bleak especially since there are no Dragon Balls now. Fortunately, Goku wakes up from his heart attack and plans to do something about their situation.
You get back up, and you eat those tropes:
- Accidental Misnaming: Goku can't say "Hyperbolic Time Chamber" to save his life.
- Affectionate Nickname: Goku calls Vegeta "Geets". Vegeta hates it.
- Answer Cut: When Goku tells Vegeta of a place where he can train to get stronger, we cut to Mr. Popo explaining what it is:Goku: They call it the-
(cut to Popo)
Popo: -Hyperbolic Time Chamber.
Vegeta: (offscreen) WHAT THE F*CK IS THAT?!
- Goku mentions both the pirate dream and the ninja dream he had last episode.
- The ending of Celloween: A Flight Out of Cell is re-shown here with Krillin waking up from his nightmare about Cell and freaking out that the Androids have now arrived at Kame House instead.
- The Stinger mirrors the one introducing the Cell larvae at the end of Episode 40 except it's one of the clones of Mrs. Briefs her husband implied having earlier in the episode.
- Call-Forward: Chi-Chi reluctantly allows Goku to train Gohan and face Cell, but only if he gives her another baby. Chi-Chi would eventually have Goten sometime after the Cell Games saga.
- Comically Missing the Point: Kami asks Piccolo if Master Roshi is "carrying", and various other euphemisms about marijuana. Piccolo is totally clueless, and it all goes right over his head. Even going so far as to say Roshi knows the Mafuba when Nail mentions he's asking if Roshi has any pot.
- Death Is Cheap: At first, Tien doesn't seem too concerned with all of the people killed by th Androids and Cell, as they can just use the Earth Dragon Balls to revive everyone. This changes when then slowly realize Kami fusing with Piccolo results in the Dragon Balls not existing, thus subverting this trope.
- Deus ex Machina: The Hyperbolic Time Chamber makes it's first appearance, and it's revealed to be at the lookout the entire time. Gohan then asks why nobody used it to train in previous instances until now. Popo answers that it was too dangerous to use when they weren't really pressed for time; Goku nearly died when Popo threw him in there as a kid. There were also the mentions that only two people were allowed at a time, and Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu and Yamcha had a different training session.
- Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!: When Tien mentions the Dragon Balls, Piccolo realizes he never mentioned the consequences for his fusion with Kami.Piccolo: So... remember how Kami and I fused?
Piccolo: And remember how we used to have Dragon Balls?
Tien: Ho-ly shit...
Krillin: Wait! I'm still confused.
Tien: The Dragon Balls don't work anymore, Krillin!
Krillin: OH... OKAY!
- Foreshadowing: Chi-Chi's condition for Goku training with Gohan? She wants another kid. Goku teleports before answering, but she is still hopeful.Goku: Mmm... mmm... k, bye! (teleports out)
Master Roshi: Uhh... was that a "yes"?
Chi-Chi: (sing-songy) It wasn't a no!
Master Roshi: Mmm... mmm... k, bye!
- Fun with Subtitles: The joke in the English (Canada) sub this time is counting all the times "mmm" or "hmm" are uttered.
- He's Back: Goku wakes up, and is back to 100%.
- Mass "Oh, Crap!": Basically everyone of the Z-Fighters have this reaction when Piccolo tells them they have no Dragon Balls anymore since Kami, their creator, fused with him. It takes a brief appearance of Goku to lift their spirits.
- Mythology Gag:
- When Kami and Nail ask if Roshi would be carrying pot, Piccolo mentions the "Mafuba". The Mafuba is also known as "Evil Containment Wave", a move used against both Piccolo and his father, King Piccolo, back in the original Dragon Ball.
- Following their defeat against the Androids in the anime, Piccolo meets up with Kami and reluctantly suggests fusing to become stronger. The rest of the Z-Fighters realize this means that Earth's Dragon Balls will be no more afterwards. Here, no one realizes the consequences until this point.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Goku notes that Mr. Popo isn't acting like his usual self. We then cut to Popo's POV, where he's imagining Kami standing next to Goku.
- Rousing Speech: Goku tries to use the "falling off a horse" analogy on Vegeta. Being the malaproper and Idiot Hero he is, he twists it some. Naturally, this loses Vegeta.Goku: But you know what they say, Vegeta. When you fall off that horse, you get right back up and you eat that horse! Come eat that horse with me, Vegeta!
Vegeta: What the hell are you on about?!
- Running Gag: Goku continuously misnaming the words "Hyperbolic Time Chamber".
- Chi-Chi and Vegeta both quake in anger at Goku's idiocy and/or ignorance.
- Shout-Out: Goku mentions both the Pirate Dream and the Ninja Dream. He also says the Ninja Dream ended.note
- Unexplained Recovery: Upon waking up back at 100%, Goku throws Chi-Chi so high up she ends up burning in the atmosphere. The next scene we see her in, she's completely fine with no explanation at all.