Original Airdate: September 30, 2014
As Cell runs off to search for a city to devour, Krillin and Trunks go back to Dr. Gero's lab to find anything more on the Androids.
I AM THE TROPES!!!
- A God Am I: Vegeta wants to know how Piccolo became so strong. Piccolo explains that he fused with Kami, which means God. Vegeta wants to know why he's still here then.Trunks: Do you really believe your own hype that much?
Vegeta: I AM THE HYPE!
- Call-Back: Upon hearing about yet another Android, Vegeta exclaims "DO I HEAR FIVE!?"
- Call-Forward: The revelation that Android 16 is modeled after Dr. Gero's son in particular will play a role in Episode 56.
- Continuity Nod: Piccolo apologizes to Tien for his father killing Chaotzu in the original DragonBall.
- Do Not Adjust Your Set: After killing TJ and the Wombat, The Stinger has Cell takes over their radio show, absorbing his victims live on-air and playing tracks that fit his character.Cell: Hey! Welcome back to 98.5 the Cell! We have another caller making a request.
Victim: PLEASE don't kill me!
Cell: Sorry, that's not in the lineup. (absorbs the caller) Speaking of the line-up, in the next half-hour we've got "Hungry Like the Wolf" by Duran Duran, "Killing Me Softly With His Song" by Lauryn Hill, followed by "All By Myself". Now don't touch that dial...
- Freudian Slip: When Trunks finds the schematics for the Androids:Trunks: These... these are the schematics for the Androids! We could use these to find a way to turn them off!
Krillin: (thinking) Don't ask how to turn them on... don't ask how to turn her on... don't ask how to turn Android 18 on...
Krillin: How do you turn Android 17 on?
Krillin: (thinking) SHIT!
- Lame Pun Reaction:Piccolo: So yeah, that's basically it in a nutshell.
Krillin: You mean a nut-CEL—
Everyone else: Shut up!
- Mythology Gag: The notes on the Androids Trunks finds in Dr. Gero's lab reference the Word of God from Akira Toriyama that 17 and 18 were twins named Lapis and Lazuli before being converted into Androids and that 16 was modeled off of Gero's son. The latter doubles as Foreshadowing to The Reveal in Episode 56 that Gero's son was one of Goku's victims in his assault on the Red Ribbon Army base as a child.
- "Not Making This Up" Disclaimer: When Trunks is going through the Androids' schematics, he mentions the above Mythology Gags found in them. Krillin initially doesn't believe him.
- Shout-Out: Pirate Goku, Sword-Guy Piccolo,note and Ninja Goku while Goku is dreaming.
- Soapbox Sadie: Parodied in Trunks and Krillin's assault on Dr. Gero's lab when Trunks hesitates on killing fetus!Cell.Trunks: Hold on, I-I've been thinking. Technically, it's never done anything wrong... so, doesn't it have the right to life?
Krillin: This isn't about a right to life, it's about making a choice. A choice we both need to make. A choice between a terrible mistake that can ruin lives, or—f**k it, I'm dropping the pretenses; we're aborting Cell.
- So Last Season: When Vegeta tries to state that Piccolo is still not strong as a Super Saiyan, Piccolo immediately says that it's not much of a milestone anymore.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: Right before he enters their studio to kill them, Cell requests TJ and the Wombat to play "Video Killed the Radio Star" which they do. Cell then brutally kills and absorbs the two of them as the song plays, complete with Last Note Nightmare as the episode ends.
- Xanatos Gambit: Tien tells Krillin this is why he continues to taunt Vegeta.Tien: At this point, it's a game. If he gives in, I win. And he knows that.