Trunks: Yeah. Actually, you were my mentor.
Gohan: Oh, wow. What's adult me like?
Trunks: Well, I suppose you take a lot after your father.
Gohan: (beat) In what regard?
Original Airdate: May 15, 2014
The Z-Fighters discover the Androids may not be the greatest menace to Earth out there, which only increases Piccolo's desire to re-merge with Kami to stop it. But even if the elder Namekian agrees, will the resulting Super Namek be enough to stop this new threat?
Mr. Sandman, bring me some tropes:
- And There Was Much Rejoicing: Mr. Popo throws a party the moment Piccolo flies off, having fused with Kami. As we see in later episodes, this joy doesn't last.
- Brick Joke: We get the punchline to Goku not liking grape-flavored stuff. Turtle says Goku is sweating purple, and Master Roshi asks if he's had grapes.Roshi: That boy cant handle his grapes.
- Call-Back: Two to Piccolo's previous fusion with Nail:
- Kami tells Piccolo to once again lower his arm on Kami's chest. Piccolo isn't falling for it this time.
- Nail mocking Piccolo's motivational chant from the original English dub after they fused is brought up once again, this time with him and Kami performing it together.
- Kami asks Piccolo about how driving a car was.
- Compliment Backfire: Per the page quote, Gohan is alarmed when Trunks suggests Future Gohan takes after his father.
- Distracting Disambiguation: Happens after Piccolo asks Nail and Kami to shut up in Ginger Town:Piccolo: Could you both just shut up for like, a minute?
Nail: Oh yeah, wouldn't wanna distract ya. Might get hit by one of these abandoned cars!
Kami: I've always wanted to drive a car, but by the time they were invented, my eyes weren't so good for it anymore. Piccolo, you've driven a car, right? How was it?
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: When Piccolo arrives on the scene at Ginger Town, Kami and Nail have a few thoughts on the scene before them:Nail: Well, this is classic. The moment God disappears, suddenly the rapture happens!
Kami: Yes, the irony is not lost on me.
- Fun with Subtitles: In the English (Canada) Gag Sub, Cell's name is given as the Lenny Face emoticon. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
- Fusion Dance: Piccolo again, this time with Kami.
- Hidden Depths: Kami explains to Piccolo that he has been on the lookout for ages, and compares it to being in a prison. He knows that merging with Piccolo will just be another prison.
- Hope Spot: After fusing with Kami, Piccolo doesn't hear his or Nail's voices in his head and thinks they're finally gone for good. They quickly put an end to that thought.
- Hurricane of Excuses: Right before cutting to Piccolo examining Ginger Town, we get to see Vegeta continuing his coping by first excusing his own over-confidence, then blaming Future Trunks.Vegeta: And you know who's really at fault here? The boy.
- Mid-Season Finale: The last episode of the Android Saga, and takes a 3 month hiatus till the next episode.
- Screw This, I'm Out of Here!: Bulma, after seeing Cell's molted shell.
- Shout-Out: At the end of the episode, Piccolo finds Cell stalking his latest victim while humming "Mr. Sandman"
- Spoofed with Their Own Words: Kami joins in with Nail in saying it's time for Piccolo's motivational speech after they fuse.
- Stealth Pun: A Time Traveller sings "Mr. Sandman"
- What the Hell, Hero?: Piccolo calls out Kami for just standing on the lookout, and not doing anything about Cell's murder rampage.
Mr. Sandman... bring me a dream...
Make him the cutest that I've ever seen...
Give him two lips... like roses and clover...
Then tell him that his lonesome nights... are... over...