Future Trunks: Father, are you in there?
Vegeta: Thank you.
Original Airdate: January 16, 2014
Vegeta jumps right into battle with the Androids, and ends up getting rag-dolled. It gets even worse when he has choice words for 18.
Then I, too, hope it is a trope:
- Atomic F-Bomb: Vegeta begins this when his arm is broken.
- Berserk Button: Trunks presses the "Goku button", earning him a swift punch in the gut from Vegeta. Krillin then lampshades it.
I wish you'd understand...! There's no way we can fight them without Goku! Vegeta:
And I wish you'd understand who you're talking to! I am Vegeta! Why would I ever need that gibbering fool's help!? Trunks:
Because you're not as strong as-[Vegeta gut-punches him and flies away] Krillin:
You pushed the Goku button. You shouldn't a did that.
- Brick Joke: 17 tells 16 he needs a hobby. This is when his affinity for birds starts.
- Country Matters: Vegeta calls 18 a "smug c***". The result: Stunned Silence from everyone else, and a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown from 18.
- Description Cut: Trunks is upset about Vegeta running off to fight the Androids on his own, calling them "humanity's greatest threat." Cut to the battle, where Vegeta's doing more to endanger innocent lives than 18:
Vegeta: I WILL KILL AS MANY PEOPLE AS I HAVE TO AS LONG AS YOU ARE ONE OF THEM!!
- Deus Exit Machina: Discussed when Goku is mentioned.
- Foreshadowing: 18 makes a verbal note that she'll break Vegeta's arm. By the end of the episode, she does exactly that.
- Implied Death Threat: 17 warns the other fighters that he will do this if they interfere with Vegeta and 18's fight:
17: If any of you decide to jump in and help "MC Widow's Peak" over there, I will personally introduce you to the ground. And trust me... your relationship will be intimate.
- Lampshade Hanging: Several, like mentioning they were just standing and staring at the androids, assuming that they were destroyed when they weren't and talking a lot about Goku while he's not around.
- Mythology Gag: Vegeta attempts to use his "SAD FOR YOU!" quote from the original English dub, but 18 breaks his arm before he can finish it.
- During this dialogue in the English (Canada) sub, the bylines for 17 and 18's lines imply that 17 is "Ann" and 18 is "Andy".
- Stay in the Kitchen: Vegeta tries to take a jab as 18's anatomy and sex, but:
Vegeta: [To 18]
You sure talk a lot of shit for a washing machine. And no, I'm not just saying that because you're an Android. I'm saying it because you're a wom-[18 headbutts him]
- Tranquil Fury: Android 18 doesn't flip out like Vegeta does, but it's clear his Country Matters jab has exhausted her patience by the time she gets around to ending the fight.
18: *sigh*... Yep.
- Would Hit a Girl: Vegeta states he has no problems hitting a woman. 18 shares the same sentiment. To him.
18: How quickly bravado goes out the window when you're flat on your ass. That's pretty sad.
Vegeta: SAD FOR YOOOOU—!