Bulma: Oh wow! He grows up to be a cutie, and... *beat* Oh my god, I solicited my son for sex.
Original Airdate: December 21, 2013
Trunks returns to inform the Z-Fighters that the Androids they've been fighting aren't the ones he warned about. Now knowing that Android 20 (now revealed to be Dr. Gero) is off to release the intended androids, they race to stop him.
Making a lot of assumptions on these tropes:
- Achievements in Ignorance: When Android 17 finds out Dr. Gero is now an android himself, he asks how he did it. Dr. Gero doesn't even know how he did it.note
- Brick Joke: When Gero first activates 17 and 18, the former sarcastically mentions that whenever Gero speaks, his audio perceptors pick it up as Gero saying "Kill me." At the end of the episode, when Gero orders the two of them to destroy the Z-Fighters, 17 instead roundhouse kicks Gero's head off his body saying "Sorry, Doc. Just following orders."
- The term "making a lot of assumptions", both times said to Trunks: First by Vegeta, when he revealed he and Bulma are not married, about whether or not they actually loved each other; and then by Tien, on the assumption Vegeta is friends with the Z-fighters.
- Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!: Bulma at first is happy that the man who appeared three years ago his her future son. Until she realizes that she hit on her own son from the future.
- Foreshadowing: Android 17 mentions Android 13 and his obsession with his trucker hat.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Tien bluntly tells Trunks that they are not friends with Vegeta.
- Is It Something You Eat?: Vegeta claims not to know what marriage is to Future Trunks just to screw with him. This is a Call-Back to Goku in the original Dragon Ball, who claimed he thought marriage was a kind of food when Chi-Chi first suggested it to him when he was kid.Vegeta: Oh, wow, I'm just f*cking with you. My God, who doesn't know what marriage is?
- Jerkass: Vegeta has been this, but it's more highlighted in this episode. He bluntly tells his own son that Bulma and him don't love each other, and calls him a disappointment and a bastard in his face.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Although it's not hard to agree with Vegeta when he told Trunks that probably describing who the Androids look like would have helped them out.
- Off with His Head!: The fate of Dr. Gero.
- Oh, Crap!: Trunks when he sees a pod with a third android.
- Pet the Dog: After witnessing Vegeta treat Trunks so coldly, Piccolo gives some encouraging words to Gohan.Piccolo: Gohan?
Piccolo: You're a good kid.
Gohan: (confused) Oh... Thanks?
- Running Gag: As the Z-Fighters try to knock down the door to Dr. Gero's lair, they keep hurting themselves.Piccolo: Aaah! My wrist!
Tien: Here, let me get in on this. *Thud* Agh! Now my wrist!
Piccolo: *thud* Augh! My other wrist!
Krillin: Jesus! Use your shoulder!
Tien: Agh! Now my shoulder!
Krillin: I think it's made of some kind of metal!
- Shout-Out: The music when 17 and 18 are awoken is the Cybermen theme from Doctor Who.
- The Stinger: Gohan is flying Bulma and Yajirobe home. Yajirobe is riding on Gohan's back, while Bulma is carrying baby Trunks.
- Troll: When awoken, Android 17 fakes a monotone, cybernetic voice to mess with Dr. Gero. Android 18 does it as well, but 17 tells her he already played that card.Android 18: Ugh, you dick! We were supposed to do that together!