"Radditz. Raaaaadditz. Guy-who's-as-strong-as-a-saibaman-says-what? (beat) That usually gets to him. I think he's dead, Vegeta."
Original Airdate: August 7, 2008Radditz's death brings new danger, as it turns out his Scouter had some eavesdroppers: a pair of Saiyans far stronger than him. This means Goku has to get his body in Heaven and go seek out King Kai for training. The other Z warriors seek out Kami to train as well. And Piccolo pilfers Gohan for his own nefarious purposes.
These tropes can bend the fabric of the universe itself:
- Adaptation Explanation Extrication: The part where Bulma repairs Radditz's Scouter to check Krillin and Master Roshi's power levels is cut leaving her wearing a scouter for no reason.
- Butt-Monkey: Radditz's status is established in this episode, where we get a hint that Vegeta and Nappa made fun of him being weaker than them.
- Castrate the Messenger: Chi-Chi's plan of lashing out at Krillin.
- Curse Cut Short: Master Roshi overhears Vegeta bragging that he and Nappa are ten times stronger than Radditz, who severely outclassed both Goku and Piccolo fighting together.Master Roshi: Well, fu— [cue opening]
- Establishing Character Moment: Kami instructs Mr Popo to "take good care" of the trainees... Popo bursts into Evil Laughter as the camera zooms in on his eyes.
- Freudian Threat: Krillin gets this from Chi-Chi in this exchange:Krillin: What would you do if you were told that your husband was dead and your son were kidnapped by his worst enemy?
Chi-Chi: I'd castrate the messenger in his sleep with a rusty carving knife.
- Headlock of Dominance: The Yemma-Lock, which is used by Yemma himself against Radditz offscreen. It fails.
- Knife Nut: Chi-Chi can be heard sharpening a knife the evening after her Freudian Threat to Krillin.
- Mundane Made Awesome: King Yemma's mahogany desk.King Yemma: And not just any mahogany, but mahogany from the planet of Malchior 7, where the trees are 300 feet tall and breathe fire! From these trees, this desk was forged 2,000 years ago using ancient blood rituals of the Malchior people! Not only does this make my desk nigh-indestructible, but it can bend the fabric of the universe itself! Also it's a very fine material. Very expensive.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Krillin tries to leave Chi-Chi's house quietly, but when he hears the sharpening of a knife going on behind him, he gets out of dodge. Same thing when Chi-Chi follows him to the Kame House.
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: Piccolo tries to awake Gohan's power by throwing him at a mountain. Cue a loud splat and a lot of sobbing.
- Stepford Smiler: Chi-Chi just barely manages to cover her rage over Goku's death and Gohan's disappearance.
- Training from Hell: Piccolo's method of training Gohan, or at least what we see of it in this episode.