"Jesus, I overslept. It's already night. ...for the first time since I got here... ...on a planet with three suns..."
—Vegeta, right before realizing the Dragon has been summoned
Original Airdate: June 29, 2011With Goku in a healing pod and Vegeta napping, Gohan and Krillin decide that it's the perfect time to use the Dragon Balls with Dende's help. Provided that Super Kami Guru doesn't die right then and there. Be reaaaal dick move, right?
It would be a real dick move to kill these tropes right now:
- Actually Pretty Funny: Subverted; at first it looks like Nail's laughing along to one of Freeza's comments about getting his hands dirty, but actually it's because while Freeza was wasting time fighting him, Dende was helping Gohan and Krillin summon the dragon.
- Atomic F-Bomb: Vegeta does this when he realizes he's been played.note Vegeta: OH YOU MOTHERF— (cuts back to Krillin)
Piccolo: (still in the distance) Ow, my ears!
- Back from the Dead: Piccolo and Kami, thanks the Namekian Dragon Balls.
- Badass Boast / Implied Death Threat: Freeza asks Nail if he's ever heard of Planet Vegeta. When Nail says he hasn't, Freeza replies that that's what he expects the next person to say when he asks them if they've ever heard of Planet Namek.
- Brick Joke: At the end of the Cold Opening, after Nail regrows the arm Freeza just tore off, Freeza just casually tears the arm off again. The next time we cut to them, there's a whole pile of ripped-off arms next to Freeza.
- Krillin notes that his Space armor makes him look like Nappa, causing Vegeta to briefly superimpose Nappa's head over the human's.
- Krillin justifies summoning the dragon without Vegeta by pointing out that Vegeta still hasn't pledged his allegiance to Team Three Star yet.
- The resurrected Piccolo once again calls Gohan a nerd when the demi-Saiyan is explaining how the Namekian dragon being a Literal Genie is like The Monkey's Paw. Notable in that Piccolo's yelling it from the other side of the planet.
- Vegeta and Gohan repeat the "Thwartin' Mah Plans" routine they had in Episode 18 when the former discovers Gohan and Krillin have summoned the dragon without him. This time, Gohan answers "Yes."
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Krillin's desire for a three-foot hoagie suggests ultimately unfounded size issues. This becomes a Brick Joke at the end of Season 3.
- Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!:
- Freeza wonders why the Ginyu Force aren't doing anything to stop the Earthlings from summoning the dragon when a quick check of his scouter has him calmly announcing that they're dead before shouting out "WHY ARE THEY DEAD?!"
- Vegeta's commenting how night fell while he was asleep, for the first time since he arrived, on a planet with three suns, when he realizes that Krillin and Gohan have summoned the dragon without him.
- How Would You Like to Die?: When Vegeta realizes that he's not immortal, he's about to go on about what Freeza will do to Team Three Star...and Freeza appears, asking for suggestions.
- Ineffectual Death Threats: The one he doesn't carry through on: Freeza never did get around to killing Nail before going after the Dragon Balls.Freeza: I WILL F*CKING MURDER YOU!!!
Nail: (smugly) Whatever.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Krillin mentions to Gohan how it feels like they've been on Namek for a year when it's only been six days. Team Four Star had been working on Season 2 for a year at the time of this episode.
- Potty Emergency: Gohan and Krillin might have gotten away with using the Namekian Dragon Balls without Vegeta's knowledge had the Saiyan Prince not woken up needing to use the bathroom.
- The Scream: Dende gives one when he thinks he's been caught by one of Freeza's soldiers. He only screams louder when it turns out to actually be Krillin.
- Super Senses: Piccolo can hear the others from half way around Namek.Dende: He is on Namek.
Gohan: Wait, where is he?
Dende: On Namek.
Piccolo: (in the distance) You dumbass!
Krillin: Why didn't it bring him here?
Dende: You must be specific.
Gohan: Oh, so it's a sort of monkey's paw. You have to be careful with the hubris in your wishes.
Piccolo: (still in the distance) NEEEEEEEERRRRDDD!
- Not long after, Vegeta's Atomic F-Bomb is so loud, it hurts Piccolo's ears from half way around the planet.
- Wasteful Wishing: Turns out that Krillin was wanting to wish for a three-foot hoagie.
"Oh, don't mind me. By all means, give me some ideas."