Story Arcs: 1: Battle of Gods Arc | 2: Resurrection F Arc | 3: Champa Arc | 4: Potaufeu Arc | 5: Future Trunks Arc | 6: Hit Arc | 7: Great Saiyanman Arc | 8: Krillin Arc | 9: Universal Survival Arc
Resurrection F arc is the second story arc of the of the Dragon Ball Super series.
It re-tells the event of the movie, Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F. (For the tropes for that movie, go to its trope page. This page will focus on the TV adaptation of the story).
Not long after the battle with Beerus, both Vegeta and Goku request training under Whis's tutelage in order to access (or gain in the former's case) their Super Saiyan God forms more easily. Meanwhile, Frieza's remaining army find themselves losing command of their conquered planets without their leader at the helm. The head of the army, Sorbet, decides they need to bring back Frieza in order to regain control. Using Earth's Dragon Balls, he succeeds in bringing the evil galactic warlord back from the dead. But Frieza wants revenge against Goku for his defeat and decides to train, something he thought he would never have to do, to get stronger. Eventually a few months after his revival, Frieza returns to Earth ready to settle old scores.
Mr. Satan heads off to an emergency press conference, taking Bee with him, where he explains the true cause of the mysterious shock wave phenomenon that shook the world to the public. He makes up a deliberate lie to keep Goku and his family's identities secret and claim the victory for himself. In his fake re-telling, Satan says that he had learned that Earth was being targeted by the God of Destruction Beerus, who he calls "Beebus and hurried to confront him. At first, even the mighty Satan was no match for the god, but all of a sudden a miracle occurred; he became a god himself and triumphed. The crowd falls for the lie and cheers, but are soon sent running as a spaceship lands. Out of the spaceship emerge the lion-like people called Snakians of Planet Snak. Upon the crowd settling down, the ambassador explains that they simply come to extend their greetings to the hero who defeated the God of Destruction. They display their ultimate sign of respect, a very silly looking dance, and ask where this hero is. Satan identifies himself as the one who defeated the God of Destruction, and the Snakian ambassador presents him with the Hero's Medal, but the Snakian hero Galbi is not content. He wants to spar with Earths hero to see what he is really made of; otherwise he will not acknowledge Satan as a true hero. Satan protests, saying he is still tired from battling the God of Destruction. He also pretends to have a stomach cramp. After that doesn't work, he tries to get assistance from Gohan and Vegeta but they don't answer.
Just as things are looking bad for Satan, Goku flies by carrying his tractor. It turns out he was trying to get his broken tractor fixed at Bulmas, but nobody was home, and he wonders if Satan can fix it. Instead, Satan gets Goku to fight Galbi in his place. Galbi and the other Snakians are unimpressed by Gokus appearance, and to make matters worse, Chi-Chi happens to be walking around town with Piccolo at that moment. She is carrying a huge load of food over to Gohans house in order to help ensure Videl and her soon-to-be baby get plenty of nutrition, and having Piccolo help carry the groceries as payment for always eating at their place for free. Goku panics, and in a vain attempt to prevent Chi-Chi from seeing him out fighting, he asks Satan to hit him, then pretends to be sent flying by the blow. With Goku now gone, Satan panics, thinking that he needs more help.
As the match starts, Satan desperately runs around avoiding Galbis blows, but the crowd is unimpressed by his performance. Realizing he has to do something, Satan imagines how he tried to protect Videl during the battle with Beerus. He stands firm before Galbi, who seems to punch him square in the face, but in reality he has stopped just short of making contact. Galbi is completely paralyzed with fear, because he has just spotted Satans dog, Bee, who had jumped out of Mr. Satan's limbo to see the fight better. It turns out the feline Snakians are mortal enemies with a race of canine aliens, and even though the dogs on Earth are not sentient, they are still enough to strike fear into the heart of Snakians. Galbi makes a run for the ship, and the other Snakians follow behind, but not before doing their dance of respect one last time. Leaving Earth, they sadly think that it will be many thousands of years before they ever manage to conquer their mortal enemies. The crowd cheers at the sight of Satans "power", and Bee is shown holding the Hero's Medal in his mouth. That night at Goku's house, Goten remarks that Goku is out late, and Chi-Chi promises to give him lots of rest (apparently meaning punishment) once he gets back. Meanwhile, Goku is lurking around outside, starving, but too scared to come home. At the Sacred World of the Kais, the two Kais are wondering about the recent mysterious disappearance of some planets. They wonder if Beerus destroyed them, but it does not seem like it, because the two planets disappeared so suddenly, as if by magic.
On Earth, Goku is driving his tractor out in the field again when Krillin comes by to visit. Krillin had thought Goku might have gone off to King Kai's to train again, so he is glad to find him there. Seeing that Goku is still set on continuing his training, Krillin reminisces about how the two of them used to train together under Master Roshi. But now, Goku has grown strong enough to be a match for even the God of Destruction Beerus. Curious to experience for himself just how strong Goku has become, Krillin asks Goku to hit him. After some persuading, Goku does, sending Krillin flying across the countryside and straight through a house or two. Goku teleports to try and catch him but misses, and Krillin crashes straight into a large boulder. Back at Goku's house, Android 18 treats Krillin's bruise, while Goten and Marron play together. Back on his own out in the field, Goku makes sure that nobodys around, then becomes a Super Saiyan and starts to train. In a desolate wasteland on top of a mountain, Vegeta is still standing by himself, thinking of how he will surpass Goku and everyone else. After enduring a powerful thunderstorm, he powers up, but seems disappointed that he is still at this level and flies off.
At a tempura restaurant, Whis is trying tempura for the first time with Bulma there beside him. It turns out that Bulma has been taking Whis out to various restaurants for quite a while now, in order to convince him to save her familys lives if Beerus ever tries to destroy Earth again. As Vegeta returns home to Capsule Corporation, he is surprised to run into Bulma and Whis, who have just returned from the restaurant. Vegeta asks Whis where Beerus is, and when Whis replies that he is still sleeping back on his planet, Vegeta demands that Whis take him there so that he can show Beerus the true power of the Saiyans. Bulma angrily pulls Vegeta aside and explains her plan to bribe Whis with food, which she thinks is the only surefire way to keep their family safe. After all, even Goku could not beat Beerus, so Vegeta definitely would not stand a chance. Vegeta is angered after hearing this, and wants to force Whis to take him to Beerus, but he quickly changes his mood when he senses an unknown power coming from Whis. When Vegeta demands to know who or what he is, Whis explains that he is Beerus martial arts master.
In order to get Whis to train him, Vegeta promises to feed Whis the tastiest thing on Earth. He first takes Whis to a tempura restaurant, but it turns out to be the exact same one he and Bulma just ate at. In fact, Whis and Bulma have already been to every restaurant Vegeta can think of, leaving him with no choice but to cook something of his own for Whis. Vegetas attempt at cooking is a complete disaster however. Due to his strength, he cannot touch an egg or it will crack no matter how gentle he is with it. After trying to crack all the eggs open so that the yolk goes into the bowl, and failing at it, one of his eggs hatches into a chick as a final insult. Bulma and Vegeta insult each others cooking for a bit, before Vegeta asks Whis to list all the things Bulma has had him eat, and realizes that something is missing. Bulma has been hiding the tastiest food of all from Whis, which is revealed to be instant ramen. Vegeta tells Whis that Bulma cannot go for more than a week without eating some, and that it is the tastiest food on Earth, to Whis' growing curiosity. When Whis finally tries some, he is at a loss for words, and agrees to take Vegeta with him through space to Beerus' planet. While they're traveling to Beerus' planet thanks to Whis' warp speed ability, Vegeta is shown in a flashback getting new Battle Armor from Bulma to wear because of his old armor being scuffed up, and Bulma not wanting her husband to be the laughingstock of the universe.
It's been more than 6 months, since Vegeta left to Beerus' planet to train with Whis. Pan has finally been born. Mr. Satan comes over to Gohan's and Videl's house to play with Pan. He makes many silly faces at her, to keep her entertained. Soon after, Gohan returns home from work and sees Mr. Satan playing with Pan. He transforms into the "Great Saiyaman," to put on a show for Pan, and also entertain her. Mr. Satan plays along, trying to "steal Pan's heart," and Mr. Satan and Gohan do a fake spar, tossing Pan around. Chi-Chi then comes in to visit, and sees Mr. Satan and Gohan throwing Pan around. Furious, Chi-Chi grabs Pan, worried she'll get hurt. Chi-Chi then rants on them for "not being careful." Gohan starts to explain how Pan has Saiyan in her blood, and she should be fine with a little roughhousing. However, Chi-Chi thinks Pan should be a gentle girl, instead of a battle-loving idiot. Mr. Satan protests, and says he dreams of Pan becoming a great martial artist who can serve as his successor and have over a hundred disciples. Chi-Chi then locks Mr.Satan and Gohan in a room to think about what they are saying. Bulma is invited over to help out Chi-Chi. Bulma accidentally mentions that Vegeta went off to Beerus's planet to train, and Goku overhears and begs Bulma to talk to Whis so he can go too. Bulma gives Goku a cell phone so she can call him when he comes over. A week later, Whis arrives for lunch and Goku begs him to have him go train. Goku then jumps on Whis as he's about to leave, and they travel to Beerus' planet.
Goku meets up with Vegeta, who has gotten much stronger, and Goku notices. Goku and Vegeta do the house cleaning as little training, and Whis gives Goku new clothes that look like Vegeta's, because he liked them so much. Meanwhile, further out in space the remains of Lord Frieza's army hasn't been doing so well since Frieza and King Cold were killed by Future Trunks. The leader, Sorbet, has decided that they should resurrect Frieza with the Dragon Balls on Earth. Before they are about to head for Earth, two mysterious figures fly by. These two stop at what seems like a giant meteror. One of the figures looked like a fat version of Beerus, and the other looked like a female version of Whis. These two are named Champa & Vados. Champa orders Vados to destroy the meteror for reasons we will find out in the next arc. Once they find out it is not what they are looking for, they fly off to find it. Soon, Sorbet and his servants Tagoma and Shisami arrive on Earth and find Emperor Pilaf and his prossiss carrying the Dragon Balls. Tagoma frightens them and the gang give the aliens the dragon balls. They summon Shenron and wish to revive Frieza. The only problem is that when Frieza was cut up by Future Trunks, onply the pieces of him remained so that's all the dragon could wish back. They wish for it anyway and Frieza is somewhat revived. They still have two wishes left and they think of reviving King cold, but Mai & Shu, Pilaf's prossiss butt in and wish for the best ice cream in the world, and one million zeni. Sorbet spares their lives and leaves with Frieza's remains. They put Frieza remains into a regeneration chamber, and Frieza is truly revived.
Frieza decides that if he wants to defeat Goku & Future Trunks, he needs to train for the first time in his life. This training lasts about four months. Between these four months, Frieza trains with Tagoma, and Goku and Vegeta get a glimpse of a new power of the super Saiyan God. After these four months, Frieza has finished his training and is bringing him and 1,000 soliders to Earth to get their revenge. Jaco, a galactic patrolman, witnessess Frieza coming to Earth and arrives to warn the people he knows on Earth, Bulma. He knows Bulma because years ago he arrived on Earth to stop Goku from coming to Earth from Planet Vegeta, but met Tights, Bulma's sister and became friends with her family. Bulma helped gather the remaining z-fighters on Earth to warn them. Soon after, Frieza arrives on Earth with only Gohan, Piccolo, Tien, Krillin, Jaco and Master Roshi to stand in his way. Bulma decided not to tell Goten & Trunks because they might get themselves killed. The Z-fighters fight Frieza's solders, and Krillin is scared to fight because he remembers when he was killed by Frieza long ago. He eventually has enough courage to fight back. Meanwhile, on Beerus' planet, Goku & Vegeta continue their training and Whis sends them into a another dimension, similar to the hyperbolic time chamber, to train. Back on Earth, Goten & Trunks sense the battle between Frieza happening, so they fly off to go fight. Once most of Frieza's solders are defeated, Shisami, one of the army's best men, steps in to fight. Him and Gohan begin fighting, but are interrupted by Tagoma who fires a ki blast through them both, killing Shisami, and mortally wounding Gohan.
The Z-warriors attack Tagoma, but it does no harm to him, and he flicks them away. Tagoma states that the reason why they cannot hurt him is because he was Frieza's training partner, so now he has a body of steel. Before he's about to kill them, Super Gotenks charges in, and head butts Tagoma in his "dragon balls." Gotenks trash talks Frieza and is about to rush him, but defuses back into Goten & Trunks. Frieza notices that they look like Goku and Future Trunks and states "They've multiplied since my last visit." With that, Goten and Trunks run off and go hide with Jaco & Bulma. While Tagoma is trying to get up, a weird familiar looking frog hops over to Tagoma and scribbles the word 'change' Into the dirt in front of him. Tagoma says change, and a yellow beam flies out of the frogs mouth into Tagoma's mouth. Tagoma has changed bodies with frog Captain Ginyu. Ginyuma stands up and flies toward Frieza and states that he is Captain Ginyu and he has returned. To prove it, he does his signature pose. Frieza doesn't know anybody else in the universe to do a stupid pose like this, so he believes him and orders him to kill the rest of the Z-fighters. Ginyu flies down, ready for battle. Gohan decides as a last resort to transform into a Super Saiyan and beats Ginyu down. Instead of killing him, he spares him in a very familiar way that Goku spared Frieza back then. Frieza notices this and decides he will kill Gohan himself. Frieza fires his death beam all over Gohan's body, reverting him back to his normal form, and mortally wounding him. Right when Frieza is about to finish him off with a huge death beam, Piccolo steps in front of Gohan, taking the blast himself, and is killed.
Meanwhile, back on Beerus' planet, Whis notives that Bulma is trying to contact him with a huge strawberry parfait, and that Frieza has returned. He brings Goku and Vegeta back from that other dimension and say that Frieza has returned. Goku & Vegeta are shocked, and ask how long it will take for them to get back to Earth to help everyone. Whis calculates that it will take half of an hour. Goku says that by the time they get there, everyone might already be dead, but Whis cannot help.
Gohan and all the Z-fighters are shocked, and Frieza starts laughing. Gohan starts crying and saying that if he never stopped training, and was stronger he could've saved Piccolo. Gohan then struggles to get up and powers up into a Super Saiyan. His aura rising. Goku, senses his power level and grabs Vegeta, and they instant transmission to Earth. Gohan loses his ki and transforms back to normal. Frieza fires a death beam to finally finish Gohan off, but Goku teleports in front of Gohan and slaps away the death beam. Frieza gasps and grins. Goku is finally there. Goku asks why Frieza wants to get revenge on him because Future Trunks is the one who killed him. Frieza laughs and says that Goku is the one who started it all. Ginyu gets up and goes to attack Goku and Vegeta, but Vegeta rushes up to him and blasts him into a million pieces. Frieza then flies out of his space pod and transforms right into his final form, killing all his solders, (except Sorbet) to show off his new power. Goku then convinces Vegeta that Frieza wants him and that he should stay out of it. Vegeta accepts and the fight begins. Frieza and Goku fight for awhile, but Frieza is no match for Goku, who doesn't even need to transform into a Super Saiyan. Vegeta then gets angry and goes to fight Goku telling him to hurry up and finish him or he will do it himself. Goku accepts and Vegeta flies back down to Earth. Goku decides to use a new transformation he learned while training on Beerus' planet to finish off Frieza. Goku powers up and transforms. His aura is blue and he now has blue hair and eyes. He dubs this new form, the Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan. Frieza Is slightly impressed and reveals that he also has a new transformation. Frieza powers up and turns a shade of Gold. His power is greatly increased, and his power is close to that of Goku's new form. He dubs this form, "Golden Frieza." SSGSS Goku and Golden Frieza begin to battle.
Meanwhile in space, Beerus and Whis are traveling to Earth to get Bulma's desert and also see the fight, when they run into Champa and Vados. Beerus gets angry and asks Champa "Why are you in my universe?" Revealing that Champa and Vados are from another universe. Champa and Beerus argue for a while until Whis & Vados stop them. Beerus says he'll spare him because he is his BROTHER. Revealing that Champa is Beerus' brother. Champa and Vados leave continuing their search for the items they are looking for, and Beerus and Whis leave to go to Earth.
While Goku and Frieza are fighting, Goten and Trunks take Piccolo's corpse to Kami's santuary. After a seemingly even conflict, Frieza gains the upper hand and knocks Goku down to the ground with his Double Axe Handle, leaving the Saiyan surprised saying he took years of training to reach his current level but Frieza caught on like it's nothing. Frieza applauds his efforts but promises to tear him to shreds but the sight of Lord Beerus stops him for the moment. They resume their duel once more and once again Frieza gains the upper hand, leaving Goku exhausted and critically injured.
Despite the fact that Goku is losing, he refuses to give up which leads to Frieza strangling him and punching him in the face and gut until Goku bites his tail but once again the fight leads to him being blasted by Frieza and lands flat on his back on the ground but Goku kept going on. Vegeta suggested that he and Goku switch places and that he would kill Frieza himself but Goku insisted to the Saiyan prince that he "almost got him". Goku then tries to warn Frieza to leave before the tables turn and that leaves him to explain that Golden Frieza has a weakness but Goku refuses to tell him so they decided to use every once of power they have left and resume the fight again. After blocking a Full Power Energy Blast Volley, they fight at close combat once again, even with Frieza not allowing Goku to drown, and it would seem that Frieza has finally won until Goku fully resisted Frieza's finishing punch saying that he finally reached his time limit on his power-up and he punches Frieza through a rock and he ends up on the ground. Goku then explains Frieza's weakness: he came to Earth as soon as he unlocked his Golden Frieza form, therefore he is burning more stamina and power than his body can regulate it and should have waited until he got used to it before he can exact his revenge. Frieza tries to punch Goku again but the Saiyan catches it once more and explosion shows up behind him. When Goku reverts back into his base form, however, Sorbet shoots him in the chest with his Bad Ring Laser when he kindly asks Frieza to leave so he can have a rematch with him. Frieza then repeating kicks him and tells him his weakness: his excessive strength makes him careless, and Frieza prepares to kill Goku once and for all until Vegeta blocks the attack away after teleporting to their location.
Vegeta then explains to Frieza that he can't afford to let Goku be killed because it's because of him that he pursues the path to power and tells Goku that he is an idiot despite Whis warning him that this outcome would happen. Vegeta then kicks Goku toward the location of Krillin, Gohan, and others and deflects Frieza's Death Beam towards Sorbet, killing him in the process. Vegeta then proceeds to fight Frieza in Goku's place and, to everyone's (except Goku's) surprise, he too, turns into a Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, which Goku explains that this power is purely his own. Vegeta then proclaims that he will send Frieza back to Hell and easily dominates over the exhausted Golden Frieza until he reverts back into his Final form. He was about to kill Frieza with a Big Bang Attack until Frieza uses his Earth Breaker technique to blow up the Earth and that in turn, kills Vegeta and everyone else on the planet. Earth is destroyed, but Whis manages to save himself, Beerus, Bulma, Krillin, Gohan, Goku, Master Roshi, Piccolo, Tien Shinhan, and Jaco by creating a small bubble around themselves. While Bulma despairs, Goku expresses his regret that he didn't kill Frieza when he had the chance. Whis tells him that he has the power to redo time but only three minutes into the past. He does so, and they arrive back right before Frieza destroys the Earth. Goku immediately attacks with a God Kamehameha and kills Frieza. Once Frieza is dead, Vegeta shows up behind him afterwards and gives him a harsh scolding but Goku explained he had no choice so Bulma and the others explained everything towards him. After that, Gohan heads back home to see that Videl and Pan are okay then he embraces them and promises to protect them at all costs.
Goku and co. then heads back to The Lookout to pick up Goten and Trunks and gather the Namekian Dragon Balls to revive Piccolo. He then explains to Piccolo what happened after he died and laughed after hearing Trunks saying he'll cut Frieza in half (a reference to what Future Trunks did to Frieza before the present Trunks was born). Goku then enjoys the feast Bulma threw and the food served in it. Gohan then tells Piccolo that he realizes his mistake that he cannot completly shun training out of his life if he wants to protect the people he cares about and asks Piccolo if he will train him once again. Piccolo agrees and accepts. Goku later talks to Vegeta about planning to work together next time but Vegeta disagrees to that, and surprisingly, Goku agrees.
- Adaptation Expansion: As with the last arc, it expands on the film's story. We see how Sorbet met up with the Pilaf gang and shanghaied them into helping to collect the Dragon Balls to resurrect Frieza. Tagoma is spared from being killed early and actually take Shasami's place as the main elite grunt to fight the heroes. While Trunks and Goten, who in the movie were not told of what happened to keep them out of the fight, eventually join the battle briefly as their fusion, Gotenks. Then Captain Ginyu, who stowed away on Bulma's plane, hijacks Tagoma's body and takes over in his place.
- Adaptational Badass: Frieza and especially Tagoma receive an upgrade compared to the original movie:
- Tagoma isn't killed in this version and becomes Frieza's sparring partner for four months. As a result, his power far surpasses even the likes of Piccolo, and even for his power level he is exceptionally durable. To give full context, Piccolo is at this point several times more powerful than the Androids, who explicitly outclassed Future Trunks, who in turn easily killed Mecha Frieza originally. Once Captain Ginyu takes over his body and brings out its full power, Gohan actually has to unleash the power he used against Super Buu to stop him.
- Unlike the movie, where he was completely outclassed, Final Form Frieza manages to hold his own against Base Goku and even occasionally takes the advantage by being a Combat Pragmatist. While Goku is still more powerful, they are a lot closer. Upon drawing out his full power as Golden Frieza, he also beats SSGSS Goku so badly it qualifies as a Curb-Stomp Battle, and actually gives the impression he may win. Also, Frieza mentions having the ability to sense energy and has an extent of control over his power in his Golden Form, two skills he explicitly lacked in the Movie version. When he does finally start losing,which still takes a while longer than in the film, he doesn't immediately have a Villainous Breakdown and instead calmly starts pleading with Goku in order to drop his guard.
- Adaptational Villainy: Well more villainy anyway. Tagoma was more of an Only Sane Man in the film who tried to advise Frieza to focus more on regaining control of his empire before going after Goku. To which Frieza threw him out of a window of their ship into space. Here, he and Shisami don't get along at all. After spending four months training with Frieza, Tagoma is now not afraid to sacrifice his teammates if it gets the job done. Subverted however in that just as he starts fighting the heroes, he's quickly defeated by Gotenks. And then Ginyu switches bodies with him and takes over the fight.
- Adaptational Wimp: Jaco. In Resurrection F, he has a Small Name, Big Ego character, but still was Badass Normal. Here, he has only ego, hasn't done anything important, and even tried to escape the Earth. This is eventually subverted during the next arc, where Jaco proves himself quite badass, but his showing here still makes him seem less impressive.
- Alien Invasion: Frieza arrives back on Earth with every available grunt he can gather to start his revenge on Goku.
- Back from the Dead: If the name of the arc didn't give it away, Frieza is revived after being chopped to pieces and blasted to nothing by an older Trunks way back at the start of the Cell Saga.
- Back for the Dead: Ginyu, who manages to take over Tagoma's body. And then he got killed by Vegeta...
- Bad Boss: Unlike the film, where Frieza kills all of his men because they all lost, Frieza callously kills his men in his transformation just because he can.
- Big Bad: Frieza.
- The Bus Came Back: Ginyu has returned.
- Curb-Stomp Battle:
- The first half of the fight between Golden Frieza and Super Saiyan Blue Goku qualifies as this, in Frieza's favour. Frieza utterly beats Goku around without really trying, and when Goku reveals he still had some power left, Frieza reveals he was holding some reserves back as well and promptly continues beating Goku. Once he runs out of stamna, however, the tables quickly turn.
- When Vegeta takes over the fight from Goku, he wastes no time smacking Frieza around. Granted Frieza had already exhausted his stamina fighting Goku and was at his limit that it wasn't even a challenge but still. However, he takes too long to deliver the finishing blow, allowing Frieza to kill him anyway by blowing up the planet.
- Darker and Edgier: Resurrection 'F' was already pretty dark given who the movie's subject matter is about. However, the anime version takes it up a notch, what with Tagoma's sadism and the death of Piccolo, and showing the Z-fighter's loved ones moments before their death.
- Death by Adaptation: Piccolo dies from the aforementioned Taking the Bullet (though he's revived at the end of it). And Ginyu, who wasn't present in the movie version and thus still stuck in a frog's body, is killed by Vegeta.
- Death Is Cheap: Of course. Despite making a Heroic Sacrifice, Piccolo is revived and seen again in the end of the arc.
- Declaration of Protection: In a nice bit of Character Development, after seeing his mentor killed (again) and the Earth blown up. Gohan resolves to get stronger so he can protect his family.
- Despair Event Horizon: After Frieza blows up the Earth, the Z-fighters hit it hard, especially since there is no easy Reset Button as the Dragon Balls were destroyed. Bulma, Krillin and Gohan can only cry out to their dead loved ones while Goku starts kicking himself for letting things get out of hand.
- Early-Bird Cameo: The manga version of Super introduces Champa and Vados (Beerus's brother and Whis's sister respectively) a bit early right at the start of this arc (before Sorbet begins his plans to revive Frieza). In the anime we don't meet the two until the middle of the story when Beerus and Whis run into them on their way to Earth.
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: As in the film, Frieza decides to destroy the planet when Vegeta has him beat. Only this time we see the other family members unaware of the incoming destruction until it's right on top of them.
- It Only Works Once: Whis reveals he can turn back time for three minutes. However in this version he warns Goku he won't be able to do it again for awhile once he does. So if Goku messes up, it's game over for real. Luckily Goku makes the Reset Button count and quickly blasts Frieza before he does his suicide attack.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Quite literally. Sorbet manages to seriously wound Goku from behind with a laser shot in order to give Frieza the advantage. When Vegeta takes over the fight, he re-directs one of Frieza's shots right at Sorbet. Unlike the film Sorbet isn't blown up, the shot goes straight through his body in exactly the same fashion he shot Goku.
- Mood Whiplash: Frieza curses in exasperation that he will soon be killed by none other than Vegeta, only to unnervingly switch to a calm voice with a slasher smile as he proceeds to blow up the entire earth; even the normally stoic Vegeta was caught off guard by his sudden change of expression.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Vegeta takes no pleasure at all in killing Captain Ginyu-in-Tagoma's body.
- The Remnant: Frieza's army has suffered serious decline after their defeat on Namek due to their governing body and all of their elite warriors dying. They have been infighting and are gradually losing control over their planets. According to Sorbet they have lost over 60 percent of their influence, and this prompts him to revive Frieza, who manages to reunite the empire... and then wastes it on a misguided attempt at revenge rather than restoring it to its former glory.
- Reset Button: As in the movie, Whis turns back time to give Goku a chance to save his loved ones by killing Frieza.
- Revenge: Frieza's main goal in this arc is revenge for his defeat way back in the Namek saga at Goku's hands.
- Riches to Rags: Goku is forced back into farming as Chi Chi (rather shortsightedly) decided to sink all the money Mr. Satan gave them to help Gohan and Videl raise Pan. Subverted much later on however, when we learn what she actually did.
- Shoo Out the Clowns: While Buu is still out of the picture, Gotenks isn't, though they're pulled out of the fight quickly and told to leave by Goku and Vegeta. Likewise, Ginyu is also killed quickly by Vegeta, leaving only Frieza to fight.
- Spared by the Adaptation: Tagoma, who in the film was killed by Frieza for suggesting to rebuild their empire first rather then go after Goku. In this version, he simply is forced to train with Frieza which gives him a more brutal mindset. Tagoma ends up stuck in Ginyu's frog body and Vegeta destroys Tagoma's old body.
- Taking the Bullet: Piccolo once again takes a fatal shot meant for Gohan when Frieza's on the verge of killing him.
- Team Killer: Tagoma who shoots through Shisami to get at Gohan just as Gohan was going Super Sayian.
- Tranquil Fury: Vegeta goes up against Frieza, eager to do so to repay his grisly end back on Namek and beats him to near death without even trying or emoting besides an occasional Psychotic Smirk.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Goku calls out Vegeta for killing Ginyu, saying that it seemed unneeded. Vegeta just calmly points out he was taking out someone who'd interrupt their fight.