Ben: Yes, well, make sure I get back by tea-time!
The one with pirates.
Season four kicks off with another historical tale, this time in 17th century Cornwall as the Doctor and new companions Polly and Ben get involved in a search for hidden treasure, smuggling and kidnap - all the pirate movie staples, but this time in Cornwall instead of the Caribbean.
The Doctor inadvertently hears a rhyme telling the location of the treasure and is kidnapped by the pirates. He escapes, but is eventually forced to tell them the rhyme anyway, and the treasure is found - just as the feared "Revenue Men" turn up with the local militia. In the ensuing fight, most of the pirates are killed and the travellers make their escape.
Surprisingly, we won't be seeing much more of the Doctor as we know him now during this season. Because something big is about to happen for the first time....
- Badass Grandpa: The pirate Gaptooth was played by a septuagenarian actor.
- Bound and Gagged: Polly and later Ben.
- Buried Treasure
- Darker and Edgier: Even by later standards, there's a lot of graphic death in this one.
- Department of Redundancy Department: The Doctor has one, at the start of the Story?The Doctor: "See that Scanner? What is what I call the Scanner!"?
- Distressed Dude: Yep, this is the first time the Doctor gets explicitly kidnapped (it's even commented upon many times), but it won't be the last.
- Eek, a Mouse!!: Polly doesn't mind time travel, or even being locked up on suspicion of murder, but her bravado comes crashing down when she spots a rat in her cell.
- Even Evil Has Standards: The Squire is more than happy to smuggle goods to get rich and avoid paying the taxes on them, but he draws the line at piracy and murder.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: This exchange:Captain Pike: "What makes you think I'm the kind of man who likes the company of gentlemen, sir?"The Doctor: "Why, your dress, your tastes..."
- Hook Hand: Captain Pike
- I Call It "Vera": Cherub's knife 'Tommy Tickler'
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: Because she's wearing pants and has her hair tucked into her cap, everyone mistakes Polly for a young boy instead of a woman. She calls herself Paul.
- Oh, Crap!: Jamaica has been tricked into letting Thete and Kewper overpower him. Then he realizes Pike is going to kill him for his failure.Jamaica: Captain! I beg thee! NO! *gasps*
- Pirate Booty
- Prophecies Rhyme All the Time
- Secret Underground Passage: The smugglers use one that leads from a cave on the beach up to the church.
- You Have Failed Me: The Doctor and Jacob Kewper have played Jamaica, overpowered him, and gotten clean away. Captain Pike very calmly dispatches him.