The one that shows what ultimately happened to the Ponds and what it meant for poor Rory's dad.
A very Bittersweet Ending written by Chris Chibnall that didn't make it into the final cut of the Series 7A finale because an actor was unavailable for shooting. Considered unofficial by TARDIS Wiki by principle it didn't air, but for all intents and purposes, it is official enough for us.
After the end of "The Angels Take Manhattan", Brian Williams gets a visit at the home of his son and daughter-in-law. This is strange, because Brian doesn't live with Rory and Amy; he's just watering the plants.
The stranger brings a note from Rory, explaining that he and Amy are trapped in the past, and can never come home. Rory laments that he won't see his father again, and tells him how much he loved him. Moreover, Rory's letter introduces Anthony — Anthony Brian Williams — their adopted son, and Brian's adopted grandson.
Anthony offers his hand to Brian; Brian embraces Anthony.
Can be watched on the BBC website.
- Book-Ends: The episode picks up with Brian watering the plants, as he promised to do in "The Power of Three".
- Continuity Nod:
- A man ringing a doorbell at a house that should be empty, but isn't, delivering an important letter from someone stuck in the past? We've seen that before, in the very first episode featuring the Weeping Angels. Also doubles as a Bookend itself, for the moment.
- In his letter, Rory mentions buying a trowel.
- Luke, You Are My Father: Brian, You Are My Grandfather.
- Someone to Remember Him By: A unique example. Rory's grandchild is all Brian has left to remember his son.
- Supernaturally Young Parent: Anthony is older than Brian, which Rory admits must be "so far beyond weird".
- Take a Third Option: In "Asylum of the Daleks", Amy and Rory were about to divorce because Amy couldn't have any more children. This mini-sode shows they took another path. Adoption.
- Tearjerker: All of it. Just all of it.
- Timey-Wimey Ball / The Slow Path: Thanks to time travel, Brian's grandson is older than he is.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Averted. This shows how Brian reacted to the losses of his son and daughter-in-law. What it does not show is how Amy's parents would react, but chances are either the Doctor and/or her daughter Melody (River) will be forced to break the news somehow.
- Write Back to the Future: Rory's letter to Brian.