After Robbie is fed up by Earl constantly telling him what to do, Ethyl mentions a "Code of the Dinosaur", in which a young dinosaur can challenge its father for superiority of the house. Ethyl didn't expect Robbie to actually challenge Earl, and they go to an office to have the fight. Fran shows up and threatens to cut off Earl's premium cable, which allows Robbie to win. Earl is depressed that he's not in charge of the house anymore, until Roy points out that it can be fun, and Earl starts acting like a child. Robbie, meanwhile, soon realizes that being the supreme male of the house is not as much fun as he had expected, since he has to get a job, pay bills, and do other adult responsibilities. At first he decides that he can handle it, but after a few days, he can't take it anymore. While Earl plays miniature golf, Robbie shows up, yelling at him for the same reasons Earl yelled at Robbie earlier, but then breaks down and begs Earl to be in charge again. Earl, however, refuses, until Fran reminds him of one benefit to being an adult - Thursday nights, which is adults only at the golf course. Robbie now understands what Earl goes through, while Earl has realized that the young have it better and plans to hold that against Robbie.
Includes Examples Of
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Robbie wins Earl's power...then discovers it also means winning Earl's responsibilities.
- Bookends: The episode begins and ends at the miniature golf course, first with Earl reprimanding Robbie for not cutting the grass, and later with Robbie reprimanding Earl for not cutting the grass.
- Disproportionate Retribution: During the fight, Fran's threat to Earl if he harms one scale on Robbie is to cut off his premium cable channels.
- Ironic Echo: "Do you recognize this? It's grass. And do you know what grass? It's the grass I told you to mow this morning!"
- Manchild: After Robbie becomes the supreme male of the house, Earl behaves like a child. To the point that Robbie eventually reprimands Earl the same way Earl had done to Robbie at the beginning of the episode.
- My God, What Have I Done?: When Ethyl tells Robbie about the code of the dinosaur, she didn't expect Robbie to do that to Earl, and tries to talk Robbie out of it.
- Nature Tinkling: When Fran gets on Robbie's case about fixing the clogged toilet, Robbie angrily points out that there are bathrooms everywhere and gives trees and bushes as examples, implying that it is considered okay for dinosaurs to relieve themselves outdoors if toilets are unavailable.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Ethyl is the one who gives Robbie the idea to challenge his father. She immediately regrets it.
- When I Was Your Age...: "In my days we didn't have lawn mowers. We didn't have scissors. We had to get on all fours and graze like cows!"