In a last bid to determine if Light and Misa are the two Kiras, L and Soichiro stage a stunt in which Light's father attempts to kill Light and then himself out of shame. Seeing Light and Misa's reactions to it, L intervenes and announces that he no longer suspects them of being Kira, although he is still suspicious over the fact that Misa's DNA was found on the audio tapes. Misa is released, but Light continues working on the Kira case. L and Watari move the investigation team's headquarters to a new building inside the city. Elsewhere, Rem speaks to a mysterious businessman about the Death Note. Eight businessmen then plan the next murder Kira will commit in order for the Yotsuba Group to excel in the market.
This episode provides examples of:
- All Love Is Unrequited: Light, unaware of why he was involved with Misa in the first place, states that he's not serious about his relationship with her.
- Artistic License Gun Safety: Soichiro fires a gun that had been loaded with blanks. At point-blank range. Nothing happens to Light, but in real life it would have blinded him permanently and left him needing immediate medical attention.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Misa believes that L wants to come between her and Light.
- The Comically Serious: Aizawa, by his outburst.
- Hypocrite: Light says that he could never use a person's feelings for his personal gain, stating that that goes against his principle. Of course, he's unaware that he originally used and would continue to thrive on other people's feelings to further his goals.
- Murder-Suicide: Soichiro plans to do this to himself and Light in order to prevent Light being killed by other officials. However, this was a ploy to prove that Light and Misa are no longer Kira.
- Offing the Offspring: Soichiro attempts to do this with his son. However, his gun was loaded with blanks and he only did this to prove that Light isn't Kira (anymore).
- Stalker with a Crush: Misa believes that L and Soichiro are this.