Light meets with L and the detectives. Meaning to test Light's analytical skills, L has him listen to the recordings confiscated by the team to determine if there are any clues in the reader's voice. In this way, L concludes that Light cannot be Kira. The team then broadcasts a recording made by L and Light to trick the second Kira, Misa Amane, into replying. Misa unwittingly reveals important details about the properties of the Death Note and shinigami when she responds and Light begins to panic. In her reply, Misa demands that the first Kira meet her in person. Shocked and wanting to pursue this lead, the investigation team formulates a plan, while Light decides what to do.
This episode includes:
- Freak Out!: L has this when the second Kira announces that they have the eyes.
- Lack of Empathy: Misa shows no compassion or gratitude for the Shinigami Gelus who died to save her. She's far more interested in the fact that Shinigami can die.
- Missed Him by That Much: Misa and Light have internal monologues about meeting each other while they're in the same café just one booth apart.
- Murder-Suicide: Misa's original fate was going to be this with a Stalker with a Crush. However, Gelus intervenes.
- Yandere: The man who was originally supposed to kill Misa was this.