Crazy Ex-Girlfriend S2E9: "When Do I Get to Spend Time with Josh?"
"Who's the New Guy?" (sung by Donna Lynne Champlin, Michael McMillian, Danny Jolles, Esther Povitsky and Stephnie Weir)
- A Day in the Limelight: Aside from Paula, everyone performing the song is a minor character.
- Ratings Stunt: Parodied and with Lampshade Hanging:
Maya: He's suspiciously good-looking in ways that normal people are not.
Karen: Is this some sort of desperate move to help our ratings?
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: The song constantly pushes and pulls between complete meta awareness and having the lines make sense in-universe:
Tim: Do we really need a new guy this far into the season?
And by 'far into the season' I mean it's almost fall.
"George's Turn" (sung by Danny Jolles)
Tropes in the episode:
- Daddy Issues: Nathaniel clearly has hang ups with his father, and seems to have an obsession to please him. Rebecca actually mentions it.
- Evilis Sexy: Discussed. Paula mentions that it's actually weird how handsome Nathaniel is, saying that it's like he was sculpted out of evil marble.
- Freudian Slip: Nathaniel lets it slip about something he had to deeply apologized to his father about a pool. Everybody is weirded out by this.
- Internal Homage: After Rebecca and Josh have re-initiated their love story, Rebecca's arrival to West Covina from the Pilot is partially recreated (with a few repeat cameos), but this time with Josh.