A Plot: Karen is tired of Davis making dumb blonde jokes at her expense, and has him take a sensitivity training course. However, Davis's new politically-correct mindset annoys Karen and Oscar.
B Plot: Hank is celebrating because it's been seven years since he broke a mirror, meaning his bad luck's run out. Brent tries to convince Hank and Lacey that superstition means nothing, making his own day worse in the process.
C Plot: Emma has a gym pass that she never uses, so Wanda asks for it, even though it's labeled "non-transferable". When she visits, Wanda wins a members-only raffle for a new television, and she has to pretend to be Oscar's wife to keep it.
- Amusing Injuries: Lacey and Hank bump heads while reaching for the same penny on the floor.
- Blah Blah Blah: Davis complains that he shouldn't have to attend sensitivity training just for telling some blonde jokes:
- Contrived Coincidence: Parodied. Hank claims (with a corresponding Cutaway Gag) that his seven years of bad luck started when he was driving a mirror truck which collided with a rock truck. He even adds that things would have been worse if the marshmallow truck hadn't shown up. Ultimately subverted when Brent reveals Hank completely made that up.
- Distinction Without a Difference:Emma: [reading her gym card] I don't know. It says "non-transferable".
Wanda: Yeah, that's just a fancy way of saying you can't transfer it. This would just be lending. It doesn't say "non-lend-to-a-friend-able".
- Fingore: Brent gets his thumb caught in the hinge of a ladder and when he removes it, it's bent back into a rather unnatural position.
- Hypocrite: The episode ends with Karen getting sent to the sensitivity course herself, after telling a joke about a pygmy, a monk, and a cannibal."I don't know why I'm here; all I did was tell a joke!"
- I Resemble That Remark!: When Oscar tries to revive Davis's sense of humor, he gives Karen a series of dumb blonde jokes that she can't figure out."How do you keep a blonde busy for hours? Turn over." (turns page over) "...How do you keep a blonde busy for hours? Turn over." (turns page back to front) "How do you keep a...I'm sorry, are we missing a page or something?"
- Last-Second Word Swap: After Brent slams his finger in the ladder:Brent: Ffffffffffff.... ...fine.
- Literal-Minded: Played for Laughs by Brent after Hank brags about his streak of bad luck being over:Brent: Nothing has changed, the only thing that's changed is your attitude!
Hank: Oh yeah? Tell that to this penny I found.
Brent: All right. (to the penny) Nothing has changed, the only thing that's changed is Hank's attitude! (to Hank) See, he gets it.
- Maintain the Lie: Wanda having to pretend she's Emma so she can use the gym membership and win the flat-screen TV.
- Parrot Exposition: After Brent opens an umbrella and spills his soup:Hank: See? You're cursed now, cursed! What did I just tell you?!
Brent: That I was cursed?
- Political Correctness Gone Mad: After Davis returns from sensitivity training, he goes overboard, including ridiculous things like insisting black coffee should be called "African American" coffee.
- Rhetorical Question Blunder: After Emma says she never uses her gym membership card:Wanda: If you're not gonna use it, I'll use it.
Oscar: You'd like that, wouldn't ya?
Wanda: Yeah, that's why I asked.
- Rule of Three: Hank believes that bad things come in threes, and after Brent spills his soup and injures his thumb, he and Lacey try to prevent the third thing from hurting his friend too badly. Their intervention has the third thing be "Brent paying for the broken rear-view mirror".
- Sensitivity Training: Davis and Karen's plot.
- Shout-Out: When explaining that there's no such thing as bad luck, Brent mentions The Joy Luck Club, though he apparently doesn't realize there was a book first and thinks it was just a movie.
- Show Some Leg: Lacey tries to flirt with the gas truck guy to prevent him from loading the tanks, but Brent stops her.
- Status Quo Is God: The B Plot ends with Hank breaking another mirror and his bad fortune returning.
- Superstition Episode: Brent, Hank and Lacey's plot. Various superstitions are explored, such as breaking a mirror, walking under a ladder, opening an umbrella indoors, etc.
- Training Montage: Davis's sensitivity training gets one.
- Verbal Backspace:Oscar: [seeing Emma on the phone] Who is it?
Emma: It's the Rec Plex.
Oscar: Oh, Wanda blew it. Are they suing us? I told you you should have never joined that stupid Rec Plex!
Emma: They say I've won a flat-screen TV.
Oscar: I love the Rec Plex. Glad I signed you up.
- What an Idiot!: The real reason Hank supposedly ended up with seven years bad luck: Hank was helping Brent fix a book case when he saw a fly land on a mirror and decided to kill it with the hammer he was holding.