Troy and Britta are taking classes they need to keep secret from the rest of the study group. But when they uncover each other's secret they decide to come out to the group. Meanwhile Jeff is having a relationship he needs to keep secret from everyone. Needless to say doesn't go as planned.
Has a YMMV page.
The Community episode "Interpretive Dance" provides examples of:
- 20% More Awesome: The secrecy makes the sex 38% more exciting.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Abed picks up tap just by watching Britta.
- Big Brother Is Watching: Parodied. All the hot people in Greendale are graded and put on a watchlist predicting a Relationship Upgrade. Jeff is a 2, and Slater is a 7, meaning that the Dean thinks that Jeff is the 2nd hottest person in Greendale and Slater is 7th.
- Brick Joke:
- The cold open involved the group talking about the fact that the door gets locked after five, and they need someone to be there, waiting to open it. When Jeff and Prof. Slater discuss if they should or should not kiss in the library, the study group appears at the back door and just stare at them.
- In the tag, Troy and Abed are doing a crossword in which many of the answers are the names of the study group members. This may well be a reference to the fact that Annie is the editor of the school paper's crossword as of Investigative Journalism.
- Changing Clothes Is a Free Action: A rare live-action example when Troy wears breakaway pants over his dancing tights.
- Commitment Issues: Jeff admits having these when talking to Slater.
- Crossword Puzzle: Abed helps Troy with a crossword puzzle seemingly based on the names of the study group members.
- Double EntendreProf. Slater: We never finished our intercourse.
Jeff: Yeah.... No one says "intercourse" for anything but sex.
- Double Subversion: Of The Reveal of Secret Relationship. Jeff says that if he and professor Slater kiss, the blinds will open. They don't, but then it is shown that blinds across the hall did open revealing his relationship to his friends.
- Dressed in Layers: Troy wears dancing tights under his regular pants.
- Female Gaze: Britta checks out Troy's body and legs when he's in his very tight dancing outfit, prompting him to say My Eyes Are Up Here.
- Held Gaze: Troy and Britta, twice, continuing Community's tradition of using the Held Gaze to create UST.
- Heroic BSoD: Britta realizing Jeff is in a committed relationship.
- I Always Wanted to Say That: Britta gushes when she, a white person, gets to use, "What do you mean, 'you people'?!" on Shirley, a black person.
- Invisible Backup Band: At the recital, the pianist plays "Tea For Two" for the flower dance. Then Troy dances with Britta and the background music is suddenly a rock band.Dance teacher: Play something modern.
- Maligned Mixed Marriage: Alluded to when Pierce reacts to Britta and Troy's dancing as "culturally unacceptable" but "theatrical dynamite".
- Moment Killer: The Dean.
- MST: Pierce basically pulls this out during the dance recital.
- Not So Different: When Troy is leaving the dance class just as Britta comes in. First, the shock; then the mocking of the outfits; then the double Oh, Crap!.
- Not What It Looks Like: Annie misinterprets Britta's and Troy's behavior.
- Parting Words Regret: When the group thinks Pierce may be dead, Troy regrets that his last word to him was "Suck it."
- Real Men Wear Pink: Real men dance and are not afraid to admit it.
- Relationship Upgrade: At Greendale, there is apparently paperwork to mark the exact moment this happens, at least for the people the Dean considers hot.
- Secret Relationship: Jeff and Prof. Slater.
- Serious Business: Subverted with teachers & students dating at Greendale. Whilst a student/teacher relationship is serious business in reality, it's for entirely different reasons at Greendale - the students & faculty are ranked in attractiveness to gauge the likelyhood of certain pairings & in the event that such a relationship occurs, paperwork has to be filed with the Dean.
- Ship Tease:
- Britta/Troy. Obvious enough for Annie to get in a tizzy over it. Britta inadvertedly lampshades the sudden focus on the Troy ship by mentioning she and Troy never really hung out together before.
- Britta/Jeff, as she starts to falter in her dance when seeing Jeff in the audience with Slater.
- Spontaneous Choreography: Troy and Britta improvise their dance on stage.
- Take That!: In the same conversation, Jeff and Slater both use Jim Belushi as a yardstick for mediocrity.
- Team Dad: Abed lampshades that Jeff acts like this to the study group.
- Team Mom: Emotionally this is like being told you are our new mom.
- Wham Line:Slater: I do not date students, even if you are no longer in my statistics class.
Jeff: Actually I'm kinda seeing someone right now, thank you very much.
Slater: Really? How's that going?
Jeff: Fine. She's smart and pretty, and sometimes I get the feeling she's just waiting for me to stop talking and take off my pants.
Slater: (shuts the door) She is. (they make out)