Title: Showdown, Part 1
Directed by: James Burrows
Written by: Glen Charles and Les Charles
Air Date: March 31, 1983
Previous: Showdown, Part 1
Next: Power Play
Guest Starring: John Ratzenberger
"Showdown, Part 2" is the 22nd and last episode of the first season of Cheers.
The impact of Sam's brother Derek visiting in "Showdown, Part 1" continues to be felt. Norm loses the job at the accounting firm that Derek got him (the firm was crooked), and Coach didn't get that job coaching in Venezuela after all, but Diane and Derek are still dating. In fact, Derek has just invited Diane to go to Paris with him.
This brings matters to a head. Sam, whose usual reaction to emotional pain is withdrawal, refuses to admit that he's hurt, and in fact starts chasing babes again. Diane for her part tells Coach that she likes Sam better, but Derek has offered a commitment while Sam only flirts. The episode, and the season, ends with a violent argument in Sam's office, where events reach a climax.
- The Big Damn Kiss: The episode ends with the moment the whole season was building for, as Sam and Diane finally share a passionate kiss before the Smash to Black.
- The Ghost: Although Derek appeared as The Voice in the previous episode he's The Ghost in this one, as Sam and Diane talk about him a lot but he never appears.
- Multi-Part Episode: The second part of the two-part series finale, in which Sam and Diane finally admit their feelings and share The Big Damn Kiss.
- Nails On A Chalkboard: Diane grabs the chalkboard from the pool room and scratches it to force Sam to admit his feelings.
- Previously On: The first one ever on Cheers, as Carla reminds the audience of the events of "Showdown, Part 1".
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Sam and Diane would often veer between rage-filled fights and moments of passion, but never more than at the end of this episode, where they finally vent their feelings.Sam: You are the nuttiest... the stupidest... the PHONIEST FRUITCAKE I ever met!
Diane: And you, Sam Malone, are the most arrogant, self-centered, SON OF—
Sam: SHUT UP!... Shut your fat mouth!
Diane: Make me.
Sam: Make you...? My God, I'm, I'm gonna, I'M GONNA BOUNCE YOU OFF EVERY WALL IN THIS OFFICE!
Diane: [smirk] Try it, and you'll be walking FUNNY tomorrow. Or should I say funnier!
Sam: You know... you know I always wanted to pop you one. Maybe this is my lucky day, huh?
Diane: [low voice] You disgust me.... I hate you.
Sam: Are you as turned on as I am?
Sam: Bet me. (cue The Big Damn Kiss)
- Wrong Name Outburst: Sam is having sex with other women but still has Diane on the mind, as seen when he tells his latest babe "I'm sorry I shrieked out the wrong name."