Darryl's wife becomes frustrated when his covering for the Halliwells doesn't leave him time for her, and Inspector Sheridan starts getting suspicious of him. Paige tries to separate her charge, a future Whitelighter, from her abusive boyfriend. Phoebe loses an innocent, who then comes back as a zombie, blames her for his death and attacks her. Zankou and an Alchemist (John Kassir), who are behind this attack, plan on reminding the Charmed Ones of the innocents they lost to shake their confidence, which would weaken them and allow Zankou to steal the Book of Shadows.
- Achilles' Heel: Zankou notes how the sisters and the Book of Shadows are linked. By weakening their resolve, he weakens the book's defense against being touched by evil.
- Actor Allusion: John Kassir plays the Alchemist and spends a lot of his time hanging around a crypt.
- Batman Gambit: Zankou used the sisters' regrets over their failures and pushed them past the breaking point in order to claim the Book of Shadows.
- Big "NO!": The Alchemist when Piper starts blowing up his "puppets."
- Continuity Nod:
- Crisis of Faith: How Zankou describes his plan. Him forcing the sisters to confront their failures and question their purpose will allow him to claim the Book of Shadows.
- Flashback: Davidson remembers both his death and his diner meeting with Phoebe.
- For the Evulz: Subverted. The Alchemist observes that Zankou killing Phoebe's friend in The Teaser was rather petty. Zankou says it's all part of his plan to shake the sisters to their core and fulfill his true objective (later revealed to be claiming the Book of Shadows). Any misery the sisters suffer is just a fun bonus.
- I Lied: A case of one villain doing it to another. Zankou claimed the sisters wouldn't have the stomach to do anything to the reanimated and just be overwhelmed. He knew they would if pushed hard enough, which is exactly what he wanted.
- Ignored Expert: Darryl tries to warn Sheridan to just leave the sisters alone.Darryl: You're not gonna be able to take them down. They won't let you.
Sheridan: What? Is that supposed to be some kind of a threat?
Darryl: It's a friendly warning. What they're doing and what they're all about, it's above reproach. I wouldn't mess with them, if I were you.
- Inhuman Human: None of the reanimated look particularly right due to how they died, but Davidson in particular. He talks like he used to, but his body has decomposed after four years. They deliberately wait to show his face until he confronts Phoebe in the attic.Davidson: In the flesh... what's left of it.
- Magic A Is Magic A: Averted. The Alchemist seen in season 3 could reanimate the dead, but couldn't control them. The Alchemist seen in this episode can control the undead, but can't reanimate them.
- No Challenge Equals No Satisfaction: The Alchemist is rather disappointed the first of the reanimated is someone who only recently died. Reviving Davidson is much more interesting to him, due to how long he's been dead.
- To Be Continued: "Now, the fun really begins."
- Villain Ball: Defied as usual by Zankou, but the first use of the reanimated is what really highlights that. The Alchemist is disappointed the attack ends so quickly, but Zankou says his plan requires first playing mind games and creating emotional turmoil rather than causing any physical damage. Otherwise, the sisters might shake off what he's trying to do before it's too late.
- Villain Has a Point: Davidson accepts that he was finished the moment the Angel of Death entered the picture, but he points out Phoebe had months to tell him anything that could've prevented that from occurring.
- We Will Meet Again: After the Alchemist is killed.Piper: What do you have to gain?
Zankou: You'll soon find out.
- With Friends Like These...: Zankou and the Alchemist are old friends who collaborated during such events as the Crusades. They appear quite chummy, but Zankou doesn't hesitate to kill him once he's no longer needed.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: "He served his purpose."