After Dr. Brainstorm's most prestigious project yet, the Doom Satellite (which tampers with several other satellites), is utterly wrecked by Calvin and company (because he shut down DirectTV's satellite), a stray laser blast from the battle ricochets towards Earth, unknown to anyone...
It burrows through pavement and dirt and eventually hits a shiny chrome sphere, releasing a Killer Robot - Shadow. Newly awakened, he rushes off to a cold landscape, where he goes into an abandoned lair, awakening another evil trapped in stasis - Thunderstorm, his master. Bemoaning post-stasis trauma, he switches on the lab, upon which he finds out he's been sealed for five years because of Dr. Brainstorm.
As Calvin holds a secret GROSS meeting with Hobbes in his room (thanks to Rosalyn), Dr. Brainstorm returns to his lab defeated. Before he can leave to think of Super Plan B, he gets a call. It's Thunderstorm and Shadow, shocking the heck out of both him and Jack. The message contains little more than a declaration that he's going to Take Over the World. When it finishes, Brainstorm immediately starts ranting and raving about him, before suggesting they build a Trojan Horse to fool him. Jack figures that he'd probably need Calvin and Hobbes' help, but...
- Brainstorm: Oh, no. Oh no! No, no, no, no, no, no, no! Absolutely not! Negative! No way! Never! And in case you didn't pick on that, NO!Jack: Right. Now how about you tell me why it is that when you need help, you refuse it.Brainstorm: Because I want to be the heroic villain, okay? There's got to be at least one time where I'm the one who has a victory!
Nonetheless, Jack teleports over to Calvin and Hobbes to discuss things with them. Via flashback, he reveals that the two had a pretty big rivalary going on since college - Thunderstorm was Always Someone Better to Brainstorm, until the latter accidentally trapped the former in stasis when he and his Killer Robot Shadow attempted to kill him and Jack.. Calvin gathers the rest of the gang, Hobbes vanishing as per usual.
Back at Thunderstorm's lab, Shadow's duplicator is shown for the first time. He gets a call from Brainstorm, whom he mocks. After he attempts to send one of the Shadows to assassinate him, the gang bust through the entrance of his lab to stop him. He sics a Shadow at them, which they easily defeat. Unfortunately, its clone is also a Technopath, and traps the boys with wires before the MTM saves them.
After some more battling, Shadow initiates the "Last Resort Robo-Launcher" - a huge swarm of tiny bugs that overwhelms the heroes, letting Thunderstorm imprison them. Calvin refuses to tell him anything, so Thunderstorm simply extracts every single bit of information from them. He then swipes Calvin's hypercube to force open a portal between dimensions so he can create a whole army of Shadows via placing more portals across the globe. Sherman frantically warns him that the results could be disastrous, but his concerns are dismissed, as he doesn't actually have a power source big enough to do so... until now. Yes, the Doom Satellite wasn't completely useless, its power enough to cover the planet, and he shortly blasts off into space.
Meanwhile, Rosalyn is unable to find Calvin, and when his parents get home, they call the police after finding something similar happened to Andy.
At the Doom Satellite, Thunderstorm has everything up and running, but his superweapon takes an hour to charge. Back in the cell, Andy uses the Scream Horn to destroy the Force Field, allowing Calvin to retrieve his inventions and the gang to take off.
In his lair, Brainstorm panics about the incoming Shadow, and refutes Jack's suggestion to simply leave the place - "EVERY MAN GOES DOWN WITH HIS SHIP!" When Jack questions this, he abruptly stops still in his tracks, not even his trademark Berserk Button snapping him out of it. He finally begins to resume preparing, and Jack decides to be useful and set up a Force Field around the lab. Unfortunately, that's not stopping Shadow from entering anyway, and though Brainstorm manages to escape him for a while with his Servant Ray, he's shortly pinned down. Luckily, Calvin and the gang show up in the nick of time to save him.
Brainstorm still refuses to allow them to help, but eventually he gives in. He sets up a laser, but a timely power failure stops it, and the backup power isn't enough. Calvin simply teleports them up to the space station's closet, where Thunderstorm immediately finds them. He and Shadow attack, and a large brawl ensues. Jack easily blocks Shadow - since his orders were to kill, a non-living organism doesn't count. Unfortunately, he ends up sliced in half.
Nonetheless, the gang ends up captured, and Thunderstorm soon enacts his world-domination plot. Several minor characters are captured by the Shadow clones, and Thunderstorm has no intention of closing the portal - unfortunately, by doing so, he'll eventually destroy both worlds.
Thunderstorm teleports them into a cage, along with himself and Shadow, where he unveils where what he's done to their affiliates - they're stored in a People Jar. Undaunted, Calvin sets a bizarre plan in motion - he does a headstand whilst holding his inventions with his feet. After some clever manipulationnote ...
Unfortunately, his victory is short-lived, as two Shadows take him captive as he tries to fire a blast, and Thunderstorm destroys the MTM with his Servant Ray.
Everyone is then forced to march single-file by the Shadow clones to a prison, where Calvin's and Brainstorm's inventions are confiscated, and everyone is thrown into their cells. Hobbes mocks Calvin's inventions, mostly the MTM, and Calvin abruptly steps on his tail, furious.
- "All MTM ever did was try to help us. He always fired his lasers on time, and he always tried to lighten the mood. And what did you do during all those adventures? You were always running off. You were always hiding. You never helped us. What happened when we were attacked by a monster under my bed? You ran off. What happened when Socrates and I were attacked by a mountain lion? You ignored us. What happened when we were all trapped by that ghost? You deserted us. What happened when Socrates was lost and cornered by two bears? You feigned injury and made me do all the work, AND I DON'T EVEN LIKE SOCRATES! YOU STAND HERE COMPLAINING ABOUT HOW USELESS MY INVENTIONS ARE, WHEN IN REALITY, YOU'RE THE USELESS ONE! I DON'T KNOW WHY I BOTHER WITH YOU! I SHOULD'VE KICKED YOU OUT ON YOUR SORRY FURRY BUTT YEARS AGO!"
Calvin then transmogrifies a brick into the Servant Ray, and he manages to escape and free Brainstorm and Jack with it, neglecting the others.
Meanwhile, Thunderstorm tries to open the portal even wider (neglecting to stabilize it) when he finds out they've escaped. He and Shadow teleport back down to Earth, where Calvin and Sherman are trying to fix the MTM. Shortly after, Hobbes picks up the Transmogrifier Gun - "better dead than a jerk". Needless to say, it's on.
While the brawl rages on, Calvin and Sherman manage to get the MTM back to working condition, but Thunderstorm and Shadow have handily defeated the others. Thankfully, the MTM manages to activate his Energy Absorber (now completely repaired) to send the Shadow clones back to their home dimension. He then sends everyone (save Thunderstorm and Shadow, who teleport back up to the Space Station) back in time, after the first outage.
- Brainstorm: Well, Calvin, you have proven to be a most worthy advisory.Calvin: Uh... okay?Brainstorm: And in those lost three days, you also proved to be a worthy companion.(everyone stares at Brainstorm)Jack: Wow, Frank, that was almost touching.Brainstorm: DOCTOR BRAINSTORM!Jack: OK, moment's gone.
However, Thunderstorm and Shadow teleport them to the space station once more, the former yelling at them for destroying his life's dreams and pulling out his Servant Ray. Everyone braces for death...
... when Dr. Brainstorm shoots the gun out of his hand with his own Servant Ray. This begins a fight between them and Shadow, ending when the MTM manages to activate the Self-Destruct Mechanism. Everyone but Thunderstorm and Shadow runs to the last Escape Pod, riding the shockwave of the ensuing explosion.
Safe at last, Brainstorm acts like his old self once more, and the heroes go to watch their movie again.
Meanwhile, a severely injured Thunderstorm and Shadow make it back to their lair... but they end up frozen once more.
- 555: Conversed by Andy:(on the cliched-ness of "I'm Your Worst Nightmare") "It's like having 555 for a phone number."
- Anti-Villain: Discussed by Brainstorm.
- Antagonist Title
- Arc Welding: According to Dr. Brainstorm, everything he's done in the series thus far was leading up to the Doom Satellite.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking:Thunderstorm: Success! Now we have absolute threat! Excellent! The place can actually do some evil-like damage now! Every glitch is finally repaired! The gamma-rays are fully-loaded, the laser-cannons are set, the navicomp is functional, and the cappuccino machine has bendy straws! I'M IN THE GROOVE AGAIN!
- The three listed objects that "seemed remotely suspicious" are knives, razors, and English IV textbooks.
- Ask a Stupid Question...: Mentioned.Thunderstorm: Well, when you ask a bonehead question...
- Barrier Warrior: The MTM.
- Batman Gambit: Calvin's Mind Screw plan against Thunderstorm. It doesn't work all that well.
- Big Bad: Thunderstorm.
- Big "NO!": Thunderstorm lets one loose when the Shadow clones are sent back to their own dimension.
- Big Red Button: It isn't big, but Thunderstorm has a machine with one.
- Brick Joke: When Brainstorm seems to be in a trance, Jack fails to garner a reaction from his Berserk Button. Later, when conversing with Calvin, a similar pause ends with "IT'S DOCTOR BRAINSTORM!"
- Burning with Anger: Calvin turns red when belting out his "The Reason You Suck" Speech to Hobbes.
- Call-Back: Calvin's "The Reason You Suck" Speech ends similarly to part of his earlier speech from "The Case of the Rogue Water Balloon".
- Cobweb of Disuse: Several litter Thunderstorm's lair.
- Confusion Fu: Socrates uses the Time Pauser to appear "everywhere and nowhere", as the fic puts it.
- Continuity Nod: Calvin mentions Brainstorm's earlier plot to steal the world's electricity.
"I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW IT DOESN'T! JACK IS EQUIPPED WITH AUTO-REPAIR NANOTECHNOLOGY, NOW! THAT ARM IS ON THERE FOR GOOD! WE HAVEN'T EVEN USED THAT GAG SINCE OUR FIRST APPEARANCE ON THE SHOW!"
- Thunderstorm references Jack's left arm being loose, which infuriates Brainstorm:
- Calvin references Brainstorm's earlier reluctance to use the Enemy Mine trope, and Socrates is surprised that he hadn't heard it (he wasn't present in that episode).
- Darkest Hour: The Earth is conquered by Thunderstorm, those Calvin knows are all captured, his clever Batman Gambit failed, and the MTM is dead.
- Dark Is Evil: Thunderstorm has a thing for black, which is lampshaded by Socrates."Wow, this guy is obsessed with black."
- Purple Is the New Black: When Thunderstorm begins his plot, the Earth is enveloped in purple.
- Desperation Attack: Shadow's "Last Resort Robo-Launcher".
- Department of Redundancy Department: Brainstorm defying Enemy Mine.
- Disney Death: The MTM, at the hands of Thunderstorm.
- Disproportionate Retribution: The boys' reason for stopping Brainstorm yet again? DirectTV's satellite was shut down by him.
- Doomy Dooms of Doom: The Doom Satellite.
- Dramatic Shattering: Some guy drops a coffee cup when he witnesses Shadow's reawakening.
- Dynamic Entry: Calvin and co. bust through Thunderstorm's lab's entrance.
- And Shadow crashes through the ceiling of Brainstorm's lair. Calvin and co. follow suit a bit later.
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: What will happen to both of the worlds if Thunderstorm doesn't stop exploiting them.
- Eleventy Zillion: Thunderstorm mentions that he could make a zillion Shadow clones with the portal.
- Enemy Mine: Defied by Brainstorm; he ends up playing it straight.
- Escape Pod: The Doom Satellite has one.
- Evil Counterpart: Thunderstorm and Shadow to Brainstorm and Jack, respectively.
- Evil Gloating: Thunderstorm lampshades it:"Oh, but of course! If there's anything I love, it's gloating!"
- Expospeak Gag: When Thunderstorm reveals Shadow's Concentrated Electrical Manipulator (basically technopathical abilities).
- Expy: Shadow of Evil Jack. They share many tropes, and the narrator even lampshades their similiarities.
- Flashback: One reveals Thunderstorm's rivalry with Brainstorm - the former was Always Someone Better, and the latter accidentally trapped him in stasis, essentially saving the world and fueling his own ego.
- Force Field: The MTM can make one.
- And to everyone's surprise, the Doom Satellite has one as well.
- Thunderstorm's lair's prison also has one.
- As does Brainstorm's.
- Foreshadowing: The MTM takes a while to process, earning the ire of the gang, along with Hobbes' cowardice. When the latter mocks the deceased former as useless, Calvin is infuriated and belts out a "The Reason You Suck" Speech.
- At one point, the MTM complains about his low battery, which prevents him from teleporting everyone from the station.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: One kicks off the plot of the TV movie.
- Gasp!: Calvin and Hobbes when they find the People Jar.
- Good Thing You Can Heal: A villainous example with Shadow.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Shadow cuts Jack right in half.
- Hammerspace Hair: Calvin stores the Transmogrifier Gun in his.
- Homage: The narrator outright describes Shadow's climbing as The Grudge-like.
- Human Popsicle: Thunderstorm.
- If I Can't Have You...: An interesting variation:Thunderstorm: IF I CAN'T HAVE THIS WORLD, THEN IT CAN'T HAVE YOU!Jack: I don't think so. That was a pretty good line.
- I'm Your Worst Nightmare: Calvin says this to Thunderstorm, and Socrates remarks that it wasn't even remotely threatening since it's been overused.
- Ironic Echo:Calvin: Don't worry, Dad! Being in jail builds character!
- Just Between You and Me:Thunderstorm: Yeah right, like I'm going to tell you my plan.
- Kill It with Fire: Shadow has Dual Wielding dual laser cannons in his palms that can blast fire.
- Brainstorm's Servant Ray also fires it.
- Lemony Narrator: He comments on Shadow looking like Jack during his "evil" episode.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: Everyone else is shocked when Dr. Brainstorm makes a reasonably serious-sounding threat.
- Not to mention how he actually thought his plan through for once.
- Let Me Get This Straight...: Calvin, capping off his clever Mind Screw plan."So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people, and beg for your freedom... and you're telling me you're completely sane?"
- Loophole Abuse: Jack easily blocks Shadow - since his orders were to kill, a non-living organism doesn't count.
- Made of Iron: Shadow, who at one point survives several blasts of fire, the Scream Horn, and several lasers from the heroes.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: Brainstorm's Catchphrase actually knocks Jack off his feet at one point.
- Shadow can also mimic the Scream Horn.
- Medium Awareness: "It's a long story and should probably be done with a flashback..."
- Also see the second Continuity Nod above.
- Mind Screw: Calvin invokes/exploits this with Thunderstorm.
- Misery Builds Character: See Ironic Echo above.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: If Calvin hadn't reflected that laser, this TV movie wouldn't have happened.
- No Indoor Voice: Thunderstorm slips into this when angry.
- Oh, Crap! and O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Brainstorm and Jack do this upon finding a recording from Thunderstorm.
- Indeed, the latter's fear of him is what drives Calvin and Hobbes to realize this is serious.
- When Brainstorm appears to get serious once more, Jack actually does something useful for once. Brainstorm is actually grateful, though it doesn't last.
- One-Word Title
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Brainstorm takes this attitude towards Calvin.
- Palette Swap: Thunderstorm, to Brainstorm.
- Person As Unusual Euphemism:MTM: Gordon Bennett, look at me. It's like someone took a garage sale bought shaving razor to me casing.
- People Jars: A singular variant stores anyone related to Calvin and Hobbes.
- Power Fist: Shadow has laser cannons that can blast fire in his palms.
- Prepare to Die: Said by Shadow right before attacking Brainstorm.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis! with Dramatic Ellipses: "My...name...is...DOCTOR...BRAINSTORM!"
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: From Calvin to Hobbes, finally addressing his cowardly nature:"All MTM ever did was try to help us. He always fired his lasers on time, and he always tried to lighten the mood. And what did you do during all those adventures? You were always running off. You were always hiding. You never helped us. What happened when we were attacked by a monster under my bed? You ran off. What happened when Socrates and I were attacked by a mountain lion? You ignored us. What happened when we were all trapped by that ghost? You deserted us. What happened when Socrates was lost and cornered by two bears? You feigned injury and made me do all the work, AND I DON'T EVEN LIKE SOCRATES! YOU STAND HERE COMPLAINING ABOUT HOW USELESS MY INVENTIONS ARE, WHEN IN REALITY, YOU'RE THE USELESS ONE! I DON'T KNOW WHY I BOTHER WITH YOU! I SHOULD'VE KICKED YOU OUT ON YOUR SORRY FURRY BUTT YEARS AGO!"
"You deceived me right from the start. You showed me dreams of ruling the world together, but no! You had to break the promise. It made me realize it was all just a lie!And now you get no mercy. SERVANT RAY! ''DO NOT" ATTACK AND DESTROY THUNDERSTORM!"
- Dr. Brainstorm also delivers a much smaller one to Thunderstorm:
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Hobbes' tendency to do this is deconstructed.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Thunderstorm and Shadow.
- Season Finale
- Self-Destruct Mechanism: The Doom Satellite has one.
- Self-Duplication: Shadow has a duplicator.
- Shout-Out: See the two homages above.
Dr. Brainstorm: DON'T GET USED TO THIS SORT OF THING, CALLY! I'LL GET YOU, AND YOUR LITTLE TIGERS AND BOY AND HAMSTER AND CD PLAYER, TOO!
- Song Fic: The Howling by Within Temptation plays during the climax.
- Stat-O-Vision: Thunderstorm's data extractor does this.
- Stuff Blowing Up: The Doom Satellite. Also exploited by those in the Escape Pod by riding the shockwave.
- Take Over the World: Thunderstorm actually accomplishes this. Lampshaded by Susie, of all people:"Do you know how incredibly unoriginal that is?"
- Technopath: Shadow.
- That's Gotta Hurt: Jack remarks "That's gonna leave a mark." after becoming Half the Man He Used to Be courtesy of Shadow.
- Trojan Horse: Brainstorm suggests doing this to fool Thunderstorm.
- Wall Crawl: Shadow can do this.
- Wham Episode: A series which has had nothing but (relatively) easily defeated villains up to this point suddenly gains a competent one, which the series' main villains fear greatly.
- Wham Line: The very end of Part 5. As the narration puts it:
- Wolverine Claws: Shadow has these.
- You're Insane!: Sherman claims this when Thunderstorm starts to enact on his plans.
- Zerg Rush: The "Last Resort Robo-Launcher" is a hundred-plus swarm of locust-like robotic bugs.