The episode begins with Calvin watching X-Treme Weather, which warns about tornadoes. Calvin complains that they never come where they live. Not long after, Hobbes wakes up, having had a terrible dream about tornadoes. Calvin dismisses it, but his dad tells of a storm coming up.
While Calvin's parents leave to get groceries, Calvin tries to watch TV and is greeted with static. A bit later, the electricity goes out completely. Though Hobbes refuses to get some flashlights from the basement, a monster's laugh sends him scrambling down. Calvin then attempts to fix the satellite dish, Hobbes shortly following.
- Hobbes: CALVIN! HOW CAN YOU FIX THE ANTENNA WITH THE ELECTRICITY OUT!Calvin: WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!
After this particularly lengthy exchange, the duo finally make into the house, where Hobbes simply tells Calvin there's a twister coming. Though Calvin is disbelieving, he soon realizes his error when he sees how tornadoes can make the afternoon seem like nighttime.
His plan: try to stop the tornado while in his box (functioning like a plane). Unfortunately, the box's engine won't start, and the tornado's only five miles away. The duo are suddenly plucked by the wind and thrown about, the box finally starting and the tornado only a hundred feet away.
To Be Continued in Part 2
- Cliffhanger: A tornado is headed straight for the duo, who are being thrown about in the wind.Calvin: Help. Cry for help.
- Do Not Touch the Funnel Cloud: Averted - the winds are strong way before the tornado even shows up.
- Dreaming of Things to Come: Played for Laughs with Hobbes dreaming about tornadoes.
- I Can't Hear You: Calvin and Hobbes do this when the former is outside, trying to fix the satellite dish.
- Subverted in Part 2, however. See that page for more details.
- Overly Long Gag: The aforementioned I Can't Hear You exchange.Calvin: I'M GOING INTO THE HOUSE! AND IF YOU WANT TO STAY HERE, AND BABBLE LIKE A MORON ABOUT POURING MICE INTO A POWER BOX, BE MY GUEST!
- Shout-Out: The following exchange is completely ripped off from the October 3, 2001 strip◊ of Garfield:Calvin's mom: I've locked up the fridge.Calvin: I'll survive.Calvin's mom: And the tunnel to the fridge has been filled in.Calvin: My life is over.
- Title Drop: By the narrator:There seemed to be [a] black turning funnel swirling across the landscape.