After going outside to satisfy his father, Calvin sees a Videonow Color, which Hobbes notes is about 72 dollars. Never daunted by money, Calvin rushes off to the classified section to look for work.
After failing to get a job at Taco Bell, Calvin sets up "Calvin's Never Before Eaten Foods", selling things like "Fabric Softener Smoothie" and "Sewer Soda". Naturally, he doesn't get much business.
He then tries to get business via tacking flyers up on a message board, which doesn't work either. Hobbes finally tells him that there's more to life than handheld TV's, to which Calvin realizes that he's right: there are bathtub TV's now! He then runs off again, leaving Hobbes to simply remark, "Another day, another dollar."
- 555: See Series Continuity Error below.
- Alliterative Name: Most of the things Calvin sells at his stand.
- All That Glitters: Subverted; after failing to get the Videonow, Hobbes tells Calvin that there's more to life than just that. Calvin realizes that he's right; there are bathtub TV's now!
- Amusing Injuries: Calvin runs into a closed door head-first at one point.
- Answer Cut:Hobbes: How do many six-year-old kids get money?Calvin: Lemonade stand, why?Woman at Calvin's stand: And what do we have here?
- Comically Missing the Point: See All That Glitters above.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Both the episode title and "Calvin's Never Before Eaten Foods".
- I Ate WHAT?!: Hobbes ends up biting into a "Slab 'O Scabs", believing it to be jelly toast with raisins.
- New Job Episode: New Jobs Episode, technically.
- Quip to Black: "Another day, another dollar."
- Series Continuity Error: Calvin's phone number was previously shown to be 555-7186. Here it's 555-6846.