Directed by Vikki Williams
"Who's There?" is the 11th episode of Season 8 and the 173rd overall. It originally aired January 13, 2012.
A real estate mogul is killed in a home invasion gone wrong. During the course of the investigation, Jo and Lindsay introduce Mac to the world of social media.
Tropes for the episode:
- Asshole Victim: The man had been purposefully destroying his own company (and thus his daughter's future) just so his wife wouldn't get much in their divorce.
- Bound and Gagged / Wipe the Floor with You: These are done to the wife during the invasion.
- New Media Are Evil:
- Invoked: The wife had set up a fake id to lure her husband into an online affair, which she planned to use against him in the divorce.
- Subverted: Jo and Lindsay set up an account for Mac. He is resistant at first, but leaves the page up anyway. He gets an unexpected "friend request" at the end of this episode (and is revealed to accept it in the next).
- Writing Around Trademarks: Facebook is consistently referred to as "profile pages." (See the Compass Killer arc for the ONE exception to this in the entire series.)
Trivia for the episode:
- Some of the things Jo and Lindsay put on Mac's "profile page" are his favorite movies, The Godfather, Dirty Harry & A Bridge Too Far, and tv shows, Survivor & NCIS (both also on CBS). The Godfather is one of Gary Sinise's all-time favorite films. They also include a favorite quote of Sinise's from President Calvin Coolidge: "The nation that forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten."