Season 1, Episode 1
Directed by Rodrigo Garcia
The NecklaceIn the series premiere, Bull defends a rich child accused of murdering one of his friends.
- Abusive Parents: The neglectful kind is Pete Peters towards his son.
- Accidental Misnaming: Adele Bensimon keeps getting Bull's name wrong, referring to him as "Mr. Wool" and "Dr. Bill".
- Actor Allusion: Brandon refers to Bull as "Dr. Bull". Bull, played by Michael Weatherly, tells him to keep it informal, preferably "Boss", like how DiNozzo, also played by Weatherly, addresses Gibbs (Mark Harmon) on NCIS.
- Alliterative Name: Pete Peters, Brandon's father.
- Affectionate Pickpocket: Dr. Jason Bull steals Clyde the lawyer's watch, just to mess with him.
- Berserk Button: Bull hates lawyers.
- Casual Kink: According to Brandon, he tied Taylor up, because she asked him to.
- Chekhov's Gun: The titular necklace on the body turns out to be a key piece of evidence to solve the murder of Alyssa Yang.
- The Cynic: Bess Johnson, one of the jurors, has a bumper sticker saying "The system is rigged."
- Deadpan Snarker: Bull.
- Death Glare: Bull's colleagues pull this on him when he asks...
- Disappeared Dad: AJ, Bess's son, never knew his father. Just like Brandon Peters, the defendant, never really connected to his father.
- Inner Monologue: Bull reads the jurors' thoughts.Juror No. 1: I just don't like this lawyer.
Juror No. 2: And did you see the way he makes his associate carry all the bags?
Juror No. 3: I'm so hungover.
- Precision F-Strike: Bull does this while talking to Brandon the defendant.Brandon: They're not gonna convict me because of my haircut.
Bull: No, but they ought to hang you for being a dick.
- Rogue Juror: Bess votes not guilty because she wants to save her son AJ through Brandon.
- Rule #1: "The client is the enemy".
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: One of the people in the introduction says, "Rich people don't play by the same rules."