Bachelor/ette Party is the nineteenth episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine's fifth season.
It's time for Jake's bachelor party, and he, Charles, Holt and Terry are ready for a night of shots, steaks, and... a surprise Scavenger Hunt planned by Charles. The scavenger hunt proves to be too difficult and tedious for the others, so when Charles is fake kidnapped as part of the hunt, they decide to skip it and figure out where the party is on their own. But when Charles learns of their betrayal, will his and Jake's friendship come to an end?
Meanwhile, Amy is having her own bachelorette party with Rosa, Gina and Kylie (and Hitchcock and Scully). But a game of Never Have I Ever leads to the revelation that Amy had a one-night stand with the singer of Kylie's wedding band... the same band Kylie has contracted for Amy's own wedding. So the girls are now on a mission to convince the singer, Constantine Kane, to cancel the gig, but Constantine has plans of his own.
This episode provides examples of:
- As Himself: Reginald VelJohnson, as part of Charles' Die Hard-themed scavenger hunt. He's not amused that Jake skipped it.Reginald VelJohnson: You've made an enemy for life. And I'm telling Bruce Willis you suck!
- Bad "Bad Acting": Charles when being "kidnapped".
- One of the pictures in the slideshow was taken during the Nakatomi Plaza scene from 99.
- As in "Paranoia", the girls play a quiz drinking game at a bachelorette party. However, whereas at Rosa's party everyone got hammered incredibly quick because the questions were all things they didn't know about her, playing "Never Have I Ever" at Amy's party turns out to have a serious flaw in that Amy's too much of a goodie two-shoes do have done any of the things anyone can come up with.
- Cool Hat: Holt's Kangol hat.
- Faked Kidnapping: Charles gets faked-kidnapped as part of the scavenger hunt. Jake later tells him that doing that deprived him of spending all day with his best friend.
- Gilligan Cut: Jake says that they shouldn't have any more drinks or steak before going to Charles' party boat. Cut to Jake and the guys having more drinks and steaks.
- Incredibly Lame Fun: Charles and Kylie's ideas for Jake and Amy's Bachelor(ette) parties.
- I Never: The girls play Never Have I Ever, but Amy never drinks because she really hasn't done any of the things they suggest, even when they try to lower the bar to things like not reading the terms and conditions. Eventually, Amy confesses to sleeping with the singer of a wedding band, which sets up the rest of the plot.
- Jerkass Realization: Jake and Charles both have one. Jake realizes he should've stuck with the bachelor party Charles planned for him, since he put so much effort into it, and Charles realizes he should've been more considerate as to what kind of party Jake would want.
- The Knights Who Say "Squee!": Jake gets really excited about getting to meet Reginald VelJohnson.
- Noodle Incident: The bet Jake and Amy had. All we know is that the loser had to take Hitchcock and Scully on their own bachelor(ette) party.
- The Password Is Always "Swordfish": Hacking Charles' e-mail is easy because he always uses the same password: Dianne Wiest.
- Psycho Ex-Boyfriend: Constantine was already pretty clingy, introducing Amy to his mom after they slept together once, but even now, years later, he's still madly in love with her. He even hatches a scheme to win Amy back... at her wedding.
- Runaway Bride: Constantine hopes to invoke this trope, planning to woo Amy at her wedding reception. Needless to say, it ain't happening.
- Scavenger Hunt: Charles' plan for Jake's bachelor party. It goes awry when Jake, Terry and Holt grow exasperated with Charles' complicated puzzles and decide to skip the hunt.
- As always, Jake's love of Die Hard is a recurring theme. Charles themed the scavenger hunt to it, and hired actor Reginald VelJohnson to take part.
- Hitchcock and Scully have really gotten into Empire. When Hitchcock pretends to be a record executive to fool Constantine, he actually calls himself Lucious Lyon.
- While kidnapped, Charles says that he's being tortured like in Casino Royale. "It's mostly groin stuff!"
- Torment by Annoyance: Jake gets Reginald VelJohnson to help them by threatening to make a squealing noise all night while he trying to sleep.