Coral Palms, Part 3 is the third episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine's fourth season.
Now wanted fugitives, Jake and Holt prepare for a showdown with Jimmy Figgis. Their plan is to lay low and wait for the Nine-Nine to come down to Florida with the weapons and manpower needed to take on the mob boss. Unfortunately, Jake and Holt hit a literal snag and Holt becomes sidelined due to a piece of rebar that gets driven through his thigh.
But, with his team standing with him, Jake sets the stage at the amusement arcade where Holt worked to take Figgis down once and for all.
This episode provides examples of:
- Big Damn Heroes: Gina and Holt ram Figgis' car with a trailer truck just as he's about to get away.
- Big "NO!": It's Terry's turn to let out the show's trademark scream. And for once, it doesn't get cut off.
- Badass in Distress: Jake gets held hostage by Figgis.
- Beyond the Impossible: Jake talks about how the pizza in Florida somehow burns the roof of your mouth while also being cold at the same time.
- The Cavalry: Gina and Holt.
- Captive Push: Figgis points a gun at Jake and forces him to walk.
- Casual Danger Dialog: Jake starts to talk about how Speed is not as good as Die Hard after getting shot, in the middle of chasing Figgis.
- Come Out, Come Out, Wherever You Are: Figgis calls for Jake and Holt in a sing=song voice to taunt them.Figgis: (in a sing-song voice) Peralta? Holt? I know you're here. I'm gonna kiiiiill yoooou.
- Darker and Edgier: As with the rest of the trilogy. Figgis lives up to his fearsome reputation by casually shooting Sheriff Reynolds on camera. However, we're told that both he and Marshal Haas survive.
- Faux Affably Evil: Figgis casually chats with Jake while Jake's being held at gunpoint by him and both seem to share the same opinion on Florida.
- Human Shield: Jake becomes one for Figgis.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Holt has an iron bar impaled through his thigh.
- Major Injury Underreaction:
- Holt is surprisingly calm about his leg getting impaled by a pipe.
- Jake starts talking about movies after getting shot and only starts panicking when he realizes that he gave the paramedics the wrong blood type for a transfusion.
- Pistol-Whipping: Rosa and Charles do this to Figgis's men. Rosa also does this to the Florida cop who was keeping them in the arcade so that she can give Amy an opening to go after Figgis.
- Potty Emergency: En route to Coral Palms. First Scully (as he downs a half gallon fountain drink), then Rosa.
- Reality Ensues:
- Jake and Holt climb over a rusty wire fence and into a pile of garbage and both end up injured because of it.
- Terry turns around while driving because of a disturbance in the back row (see Too Much Information below), causing him to miss the traffic slowdown up ahead and rear end the car in front of him.
- Captain Stentley assigns the entire detective squad to work nights as punishment for abandoning their duties.
- Self-Surgery: Holt has to treat his own injured leg because Jake is too squicked by the sight to help. Hilariously, Holt stitches himself up while calmly making sure that Jake doesn't panic and pass out.
- Shoot the Hostage: Amy does this to Jake when he's held at gunpoint by Figgis.
- Skewed Priorities: Jake would rather surrender than use the pipe that impaled Holt to defend himself.
- So Proud of You: Parodied when Jake couldn't stitch Holt's wound. Holt stitches it himself while telling Jake to breathe. Jake makes it through his freak out and Holt tells him he's proud of him.
- Spanner in the Works: Sheriff Reynolds and his deputies show up at the most inopportune time to interrupt the Nine-Nine during their takedown of Figgis.
- Take a Third Option: Amy decides to shoot Jake instead of letting Figgis go or letting Figgis shoot Jake.
- Tap on the Head: Amy knocks out one of Figgis's men with a pipe.
- Too Much Information: Hitchcock makes his arousal at Rosa's pee desperation audible.
- Take That!:
- Yet again, America's obsession with guns comes under fire. In this episode, Gina is able to easily buy a gun out of a vending machine and later picks one up out of a lost and found box full of them.
- Florida really hasn't caught a break over these last three episodes. This time, both Jake and Figgis rip on its pizza.
- Video Wills: Charles shoots one for his son, Nicholaj, in case he doesn't make it out of Florida alive. Terry, not wanting to be shown up in parenting skills, follows suit and records one for his daughters, as well.
- You Wouldn't Shoot Me: Jake tells Amy that Figgis isn't willing to shoot him as he needs him to escape. Figgis tells Amy that she shouldn't take that up as he can most definitely shoot Jake.