After the title rolls, Walt wakes up on the floor of the bathroom naked, and joins his family for breakfast. Jesse calls, pretending to be a telemarketer, and Walt covers the obvious fakery while informing Jesse he has to go to work. Aftewards, Skyler redials and hears Jesse's voicemail filled with slang, leading her to investigate his website and ponder what a MILF is. Walt barely makes it through teaching while hallucinating students asking about murder, grabs some Hydrofluoric Acid from the closet and heads to Jesse's house. On his way, a half-blind Krazy-8 stumbles down the street, having escaped the RV. Upon seeing Walt, he sprints off only to collide with a tree. Walt and Jesse bring him back to the house and lock him in the basement, while Walt decides they need to dispose of Emilio's body with the acid. After a tense coin flip, it's decided Jesse will dispose of the body while Walter will kill Krazy-8. Walter instructs Jesse to find a plastic bin, specifying that it must be polyethylene plastic, which he is not successful in finding.
Walter ponders various methods of murdering Krazy-8 before making him a sandwich. Jesse returns to find both of them unsuccessful with their tasks. Walter leaves to meet Skyler for a pre-natal check-up, where she privately inquires about his connection to Jesse Pinkman. Walt informs her that he's a former student, and that he deals him weed, and to back off. Skyler later pays Jesse a visit as he is moving Emilio from the RV to the house, and tells him not to sell Walter weed anymore. Jesse barely avoids detection and manages to put Emilio in the bathtub upstairs, where he applies the acid. When Walter comes back, Jesse yells at him that Skyler came by and almost caught them, and mentions the bathtub. Walter, horrified, goes to the hallway where acid is leaking through the ceiling. Emilio's half-liquified remains then burst through the ceiling and completely cover the entire hallway. Walter tersely explains that polyethylene plastic is the only substance hydrofluoric acid cannot eat through, and glares at Jesse. Finally, in the desert, two children are playing, and one of them discovers Walt's discarded gas mask and puts it on.
This episode provides examples of:
- Best Out of Infinity: After Walt loses the coin flip and has to kill Krazy-8, he sheepishly asks, "Best 2 out of 3?"
- Black Comedy: When Walt sees Krazy-8 staggering through the middle of the street, he tries to wave him over. Krazy-8 recognizes him instantly and sprints away...directly into a tree, knocking himself out.
- Bloody Hilarious: Jesse and Walt need to dispose of a body; Walt steals some hydrofluoric acid from his lab at the high school, gives it to Jesse and tells him to get a specific kind of plastic tub. Jesse doesn't see the reason for the second part and simply puts the body and the acid in an ordinary bathtub. As it turns out, the plastic tub was necessary because the hydrofluoric acid would dissolve anything else... including the bathtub. And the floor. The Rule of Drama applies in that what was once a human corpse falls through the ceiling in a chunky liquid form only after Walt shows up to make sure Jesse hadn't done anything stupid with highly toxic acid. The camera lingers on the gory mess long enough that there is a nausea factor, but (a) Walt's Oh, God, (b) the way they slooowly back away from the dripping ceiling (c), Jesse's expression as Walt, with exasperated patience, explains how the acid did what it did and (d) the cartoonish shot of them looking up at the bathtub-shaped hole in the ceiling are too funny not to get a laugh.
- Confess to a Lesser Crime: Walter tells Skyler Jesse sold him weed.Jesse: And why'd you go and tell her I was selling you weed?
Walt: Because somehow it seemed preferable to admitting that I cook crystal meth and killed a man.
- Disposing of a Body: The first attempt to get rid of Emilio's corpse goes badly wrong when the hydrofluoric acid eats through the bottom of the bathtub and then the floor, dumping a vile pile of half-digested body bits and acid onto the floor below. If you don't vomit, you'll crack up. The later efforts at disposing bodies are less disastrous, thanks to barrels that resist the acid.
- Epic Fail: Jesse disobeys Walt's advice of using plastic containers to contain Emilio's body for acid dissolving and instead uses the bathtub on the second floor.Walt: I'm sorry, what were you asking me? Oh, yes, that stupid plastic container I asked you to buy. You see, hydroflouric acid won't eat through plastic. It will, however, dissolve metal, rock, glass, ceramic...so there's that.
- Fan Disservice: In the opening scene, we see Walt's bottom as he walks naked to the bathroom after sex with Skyler.
- From Bad to Worse: The entire situation Jesse and Walter are in by the Pilot's end becomes worse and worse over the course of the episode. First, Krazy-8 is not dead like they thought, but Emilio is. So they have to kill one man and get rid of the other's body. Then Krazy-8 is not just alive, but lucid, and Walter can't bring himself to kill him. And then Jesse forgoes a plastic tub and uses his own bathroom to dissolve Emilio in hydrofluoric acid...which results in the whole thing crashing through the floor in one giant, soupy, blood mess.
- Heads or Tails?: Walt and Jesse use this to decide who takes care of Emilio and Krazy-8.
- Hollywood Acid: To get rid of a body, Walter and Jesse plan to use hydrofluoric acid. Walter tells Jesse to get a plastic container so it won't melt (which is correct), but unable to find one big enough and unwilling to splitting the body apart otherwise, Jesse just uses his upstairs bathtub instead. The result is not just a soupy mess of blood and guts, but it ends up eating through the tub and crashing through to the bottom story.
- Hypocrite: Skyler charges toward Jesse and ignores his demands to stay off his property, but she orders "Don't touch me!" as he moves to physically force her out.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Faced with the fact that he's going to have to kill a very conscious man, Walter rolls himself a joint from Jesse's stash.
- Nice to the Waiter: Walt and Jesse give money to the guy who saved them from dying in the desert though Jesse's contribution is rather small.
- Of Course I Smoke: The amusing montage of Walt trying to roll a joint. The poor guy has to bend over and use the stove as a lighter.
- Oh, Crap!:
- Walt after Jesse tells him that he dissolved Emilio's body in the bathtub.
- Jesse after Walt tells him that hydrofluoric acid will eat through a variety of things, plastic not being one of them.
- Oblivious to Her Own Description: Skyler asking "What's a MILF?"
- The Public Domain Channel: Jesse watches a The Three Stooges short while smoking meth.
- Pet the Dog: Jesse tries to make Walt feel less guilty about having to kill Krazy-8.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Krazy-8 was originally supposed to die in the pilot, but the crew liked the actor so much they kept him around.
- Totally Radical: Skyler's rather pathetic attempt at appearing threatening to Jesse has her briefly adopting some of his slang usage.