Courtney, the most annoying girl in school, has taken a liking to Gene, who decides to date her in order to use her jingle writer father's gear. Meanwhile, Linda is inspired by envy of Gretchen to go on the "Skin Deep Diet", where she can only eat the peels and skins of fruits and vegetables.
- "Blackmail" Is Such an Ugly Word: When Gene comes clean to Courtney that he only kept dating her to get closer to her dad.Courtney: You were using me?Gene: I prefer the term "networking."
- Diet Episode: The b-plot involves Linda starving herself in a crazed attempt to lose a couple pounds.
- Disability as an Excuse for Jerkassery: Courtney uses her congenital heart defect as an excuse for everything she does. Up to kicking the back of someone's seat.
- Everyone Has Standards: Louise and Tina are both horrified when they realize Courtney is Gene's crush and run down the school hallway, screaming the entire time, to try and save Gene before Courtney confesses to him. They're too late.
- Formerly Fat: Gretchen shows up several sizes smaller. Like most crash diets though, the weight is back next time she appears.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Despite her various annoying traits and the fact she basically pressured him to be her boyfriend, Courtney notes Gene basically used her, even hijacking her birthday party to plug his song.
- Loophole Abuse: Linda tries to justify licking the frosting off a slice of birthday cake as part of her diet by arguing icing is like the skin of a cake.
- Oh, Crap!: Louise and Tina have an epic version of this after deducing who Gene's secret admirer is.
- Oral Fixation Fixation: Courtney has a bizarre habit of sucking on her necklace.
- Papa Wolf: After Courtney suffers a minor heart episode caused by Gene, he asks Doug if he can still visit "Gear Heaven". Doug's response?Doug: Nope, not a chance in Gear Hell, Gene.
- Sanity Slippage: Linda really starts to lose it due to hunger, at one point chewing on Tina's hair after smelling her cocoa butter shampoo.
- Weight Woe: Linda spends the episode obsessing about her slight muffin top after seeing how much skinnier Gretchen's become.
- Who Would Be Stupid Enough?: When going through girls that might have a crush on Gene, Tina suggests it was the girl who told them, Rupa, hoping to fool the Belchers that it's not her. Louise states Rupa isn't smart enough to try that, since she once thought elbow macaroni was made from elbows. Tina gives an embarrassed laugh, implying that she thought that too until now.