When Parade Day comes to Big City, Cricket is determined not to miss it during his 15-minute break; Bill takes the kids to the hardware store to get a new vacuum battery and uses such to teach Remy about self-reliance.
- Art Shift: Crickets plans are shown as top-down abstract views complete with doodles of his, Tillys and Glorias heads.
- Captain Ersatz: One of the floats is Crabby Tabby, based on Garfield, and another resembles the Genie from Aladdin.
- Loophole Abuse: One look at the poster of all employees getting a mandatory 15-minute break inspires Cricket to leave the Big Coffee and see the parade. He even says "loophole!" to top it off.
- Hope Spot: Cricket has Tilly distract Keys while he adjusts the barricades to reroute the parade to Big Coffee...then a truck carrying barricades crashes and spills all the barricades out.
- Never My Fault: Cricket claims the unforeseen circumstances for his first plan werent his fault, when really it was, as a barricade truck was coming at the same time he adjusted the second barricade, and it crashes because of such.
- Race Against the Clock: Cricket has 15 minutes to enjoy the parade and get back to work or he'll get fired.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: After Miss Splish is usurped by Tilly offscreen she's never seen again.
- An Aesop: Some things are impossible to do on your own; it's important to get help.
- Break the Haughty: A mild example with Bill. Bill prides himself on being self-reliant and not asking for help, but when he goes to a hardware store, it's too big and confusing for him to find what he's looking for, and steadfastly refuses to ask the employees for help finding it. Eventually he is forced to ask for help when a shelf full of toilets threatens to fall on him.
- A Day in the Limelight: For Remy and Bill.
- Mistaken for Servant: Cricket is mistaken for one of the store workers because his overalls are similar to their uniforms. He's put in charge of the forklift, and Hilarity Ensues.
- Playing Possum: Tilly does this when Bill is making his "self-reliance speech" to Cricket's chagrin.