The aliens activate a device to wipe out all life on the planet, but the spiders may have provided the Maximals with the means to stop them
- Actually Pretty Funny: Optimus is slightly amused by Rattrap asking to have his quarters if he doesn't make it back.
- Admiring the Abomination: Megatron is quite impressed with the Planet-Buster, as well as how the aliens would go to such lengths to destroy sentient beings.Megatron: What sheer ruthlessness. What disregard for sentient life. I rather like these aliens.
- Cliffhanger: Optimus is blown up.
- The End of the World as We Know It: The Planet-Buster will super heat all the energon and cause an explosion big enough to destroy the entire planet.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: Pause the scene after the explosion at just the right spot, and you can see Optimus's severed head.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Optimus' plan to stop the Planet-Buster runs the risk of being this, though he intended to at least try and get clear of the blast before Megatron sabotaged him. As he puts it to Blackarachnia, they're all about to die anyway if they don't do something.Blackarachnia: You'll blow yourself to atoms! [snickers]
Optimus: If it saves this planet, it'll be worth it. If not, I'm no worse off.
- It Has Been an Honor:Optimus: Whatever happens out there, I want you to know that you're the finest crew I've ever served with.
- Mood Whiplash: Tigatron and Airazor wish Optimus luck and hope that he comes back. Rattrap just asks if he can have his quarters.
- More Hero Than Thou: When Optimus reveals his plan, every Maximal in the room except Rattrap offers to go in his place. Optimus points out that only a flyer has a chance of escaping the explosion, so it's either him or Airazor - and he's the one giving orders.Optimus: What about you, Rattrap?
Rattrap: Hey, heh, suicide ain't in my job description.
Optimus: Hmm. Or 'mine.''
- Mythology Gag: "Oh, you Optimuses do love to sacrifice yourselves, don't you?"
- Phrase Catcher: "Shut up, Rattrap!"
- Xanatos Speed Chess: Megatron originally intended to hijack the stasis pod in flight, set it to blow and crash it into the Planet Buster, taking Blackarachnia or Tarantulas with it. To his delight, Optimus (who had come up with the same idea) ended up being the pod's pilot, and all Megatron had to do was hack and seal the pod so his rival blew up with the Planet Buster.
- Wham Line: "Goodbye, Optimus." note