Season 1, Episode 05:
You Can't Go Home Again
Following Kara's ejection from her Viper at the end of the previous episode, Boomer and Crashdown discover Hot Dog's trashed Viper and bring him onboard. Once there, he explains that he doesn't think Kara is dead, which leads Bill to order a search for her ship.
On the surface of the moon, Kara wakes up and discovers she has survived the parachute drop, but before she can get up, a strong wind current drags her along the ground. Although she manages to cut the harness away from her, she seriously injures her leg in the process.
Lee and a group of Vipers search the area where Kara was last seen, but fail to find anything. Gaeta then suggests that she may have crashed on the moon orbiting a nearby gas giant, and Bill orders the Vipers to perform a sweep of the small planet. Tigh, however, is worried that the Cylons may find the fleet if they stay in the area for too long.
As she staggers along the surface of the moon, Kara prays to the Lords of Kobol for assistance, and soon after discovers the crashed Cylon Raider that fell into the atmosphere with her Viper during the previous battle.
Back in the fleet, Roslin orders that all of the civilian ships take part in the search effort, but Tigh once again expresses concern when he realizes the ships are spread out and vulnerable to attack. Bill and Lee further jeopardize the fleet by using the Command Air Group of Vipers to assist in the search, while the Vipers searching the moon begin to suffer from mechanical problems and depleting fuel reserves.
On the moon, Kara accesses a panel on the underside of the Raider, only to discover its interior is filled with biomechanical partsorgans, veins and tubes are hooked up within the metal exterior. She sets to work trying to reconfigure it for her own use.
Several hours later, the window for Kara's remaining oxygen supply passes, but Bill presses on to continue the search. When Tigh objects to his actions, Bill relieves him of his duties.
Meanwhile, on Caprica, Helo and Sharon are still hiding in the fallout bunker in the restaurant. Helo is convinced that they have to keep moving and find a ship, but their discussion is interrupted by the arrival of two Centurions in the restaurant. In an attempt to escape, Helo and Sharon begin a firefight with the Centurions, and in the ensuing confusion, he destroys one just before being knocked out by the other. When he comes to, he is still alive but Sharon is missing. Helo sets out after her.
In the downed Raider, Kara sees that her air supply is nearly depleted, and frantically tries to see if she can access a life support system on the ship. She discovers an oxygen tube, and seals up the Raider so that she can breathe. She begins to study the controls of the Raider.
Roslin arrives on Galactica, and Tigh asks her to stop what Bill and Lee are doing. In the CIC, Roslin rails at both Adamas for continuing to endanger the lives of the fleet and Galactica by continuing to pursue someone who is in all likelihood dead, and they finally admit that Kara is gone.
On the moon, Kara finally figures out the controls and activates the ship. Its engines power up and the ship lifts up, leading Kara to grin in appreciation. She pilots the ship out of the planet's atmosphere and heads towards Galactica.
The civilian fleet jumps out of the system on Bill's order, but just as they ready Galactica to jump, Kara's Raider appears on DRADIS. In the ensuing moments, only Lee is able to exit the ship with his Viper when the other launch tubes malfunction.
As Lee tries to engage the Viper, he is shocked to discover that it's avoiding all of his incoming fire. Kara realizes that she has to get closer, and suddenly brakes. When Lee can't see her, she flies in formation above him, flipping over to reveal the words "STAR BUCK" written in tape on the underside of the Raider. As the crew cheers, Bill orders the Raider brought onboard.
On Galactica's hangar deck, Tyrol admires the new Raider, while Lee congratulates Kara on her stunt. Later, as she is sitting in Galactica's infirmary, Bill comes in and congratulates her on her performance, while kissing her on the forehead. Realizing that he has forgiven her for what happened to Zak, she begins to cry. Bill gives her his last cigar and tells her to rest before leaving.
- Almost Out of Oxygen: Kara, while stranded on the moon.
- Always Save the Girl: Subverted; Lee and Bill are forced to admit that their crusade to find Kara has endangered the fleet, and they are just about to jump out when she shows up in the Raider.
- Anywhere but Their Lips: Bill kisses Kara on the forehead in the final scene.
- Continuity Nod: Roslin owns a copy of the same photo the Viper pilots have in their ready room ("The Fall of Delphi").
- Contrived Coincidence: Lee is the only one who is able to exit the ship with his Viper, due to a malfunction that puts all the other launch tubes out of commission for several minutes, ostensibly to heighten the tension when Lee tries to shoot down the Raider with Kara in it.
- Damsel out of Distress: Kara rescues herself, the Adamas' only role (as it turns out) is refusing to leave the system.
- Determinator: Kara. Despite having an injured leg and being completely unsure about how to use the Raider, she manages to figure out the controls, make it back to Galactica and avoid Lee's gunfire pretty much on sheer willpower.
- Not to mention both Commander and Captain Adama, who, even after Starbuck's oxygen timer runs out, refuse to give up the search.
- Duct Tape for Everything: Kara uses her pilot's tape to write her name on the underside of the Raider. However, she doesn't use said tape to block the bullet hole in the ship's exteriorshe plugs it with her flight jacket.
- Kara prays to the "Lords of Kobol" for assistance, and is immediately "rewarded" with a way off the planet.
- Galactica continues to expend its fuel reserve, to the point of depleting nearly half in the course of the rescue mission.
- It's All My Fault: Bill has a minor bout of this, as he blames himself for his blowup towards Kara, which led her to try and prove herself by taking on a Raider squadron alone. At the end, he atones by telling Kara she "did good" and kissing her on the forehead.
- Last Unsmoked Cigarette: Bill gives Kara his last cigar as a pick-me-up when she's laying in the infirmary at the end of the episode.
- Precision F-Strike: Adama to Roslin, when discussing how to increase the odds of finding Starbuck:Adama: Frak the odds. We're going to find her.
- Sherlock Scan: Using only her knowledge of a standard aircraft's basic controls, Kara figures out which organs to maneuver in order to get the Raider to fly again.
- So Proud of You: Bill to Kara in the final scene.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Roslin calls out Bill and Lee for jeopardizing the fleet's safety to search for Kara in the name of "military matters", and indicates that if they can live with putting civilization at risk over their own personal feelings, humanity deserves to be destroyed.
- Thinking Out Loud: Kara inside the Raider. Also doubles as Expo Speak, as she explains the basic controls of most modern aircraft.