While on patrol, Starbuck and Boomer are attacked by Cylons. In the battle, Starbuck's ship is damaged, and he is forced to crash on the planet Attila, as Boomer heads back to the fleet for help.
Pulling himself from the wreckage, Starbuck attempts to elude a Cylon patrol but is captured. However, the Cylon patrol is soon ambushed by a group of warriors, who are in fact young children. Despite their youth the children are able to rescue Starbuck. The children take Starbuck to their camp, were he learns that they are siblings who were forced out of their castle homestead by the Cylons. Their father was also captured by the Cylons, and the children have been battling the Cylons ever since.
After an abortive attempt to fake a prisoner swap of Starbuck for the father, Kyle, the oldest agrees to allow Starbuck to lead the children on a raid of the Cylon garrison. The raid is successful, the Cylons, led by their commander, Specter (an IL series Cylon, similar to Lucifer) bid a hasty retreat from the planet, and the children are reunited with their father. Apollo and Boomer land the shuttle to bring Starbuck home to Galactica, arriving just in time to see Starbuck get a farewell kiss from the eldest daughter, Miri.
- Cassandra Truth: Starbuck experiences this while trying to convince Kyle that the Cylons won't turn over his father in exchange for him. Thankfully Kyle is eventually talked out of making the exchange.
- Child Soldiers: Kyle, Miri and the rest of his siblings.
- First Kiss: Miri gets hers from Starbuck.
- Precocious Crush: Miri develops one on Starbuck. Naturally Starbuck being Starbuck, he doesn't go to any great lengths to discourage her.
- Professional Butt-Kisser: Specter does an excellent job of sucking up to Baltar.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Kyle wants to defeat the Cylons, and get his father back; however, he is willing to hand an innocent man over to the Cylons to do so.
- Would Hurt a Child: Specter and his troop have no inhibitions against harming children, especially the "renegades".