Still reeling from the loss of Appa (although Aang ''insists'' he's fine), the gang realizes that they will need to take a ferry to get to Ba Sing Se instead of just flying. However, a young couple, one of whom is pregnant, has their passports stolen, so is not allowed on the ferry. Our heroes promise to help them across the treacherous "Serpent's Pass"; they're also joined by Suki, who's been helping with the war effort. Zuko and Iroh, who do take the ferry, meet another familiar face in the form of Jet; together they help 'liberate' some food.
- Aerith and Bob: Hope is the only character in the show with a non-Asian name.
- Creator commentary says they originally had Aang give her a Chinese name, but decided against it to avoid confusion over the name's meaning.
- Almost Kiss: Sokka and Suki halfway through the episode, as Sokka is still not completely over the loss of Yue.
- Bait-and-Switch Accusation:Jet: (to Zuko) As soon as I saw your scar, I knew exactly who you were. (Zuko tenses up) You're an outcast — like me.
- Blatant Lies: Aang is clearly suffering emotional withdrawal from the loss of Appa, but he insists that everything's just hunky-dory.
- The Bus Came Back: For Suki, Jet, Longshot, and Smellerbee.
- Call-Back:Jet: "I've done some things in my past that I'm not proud of, but that's why I'm going to Ba Sing Se: for a new beginning. A second chance."
- Catch and Return: Aang volleys the fire bomb back to the Fire Nation ship.
- Chekhov's Gunman: The pregnant woman and her partner were first seen in "Zuko Alone" as a random couple Zuko encounters on his way.
- Cliffhanger: The episode ends as a giant drill makes its way towards the great walls of Ba Sing Se.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Smellerbee trying to come to grips about people being confused about her gender.
- Embarrassing Rescue: Toph after she fell into the ocean, and Suki fishes her out.Toph: Oh Sokka! You saved me! (Unknowingly kisses Suki's cheek)Suki: Actually... it's me.Toph: (Beat) Oh... well... ah hah... you can go ahead and let me drown now...
- Evil Is Petty: A Fire Nation ship patrolling the Serpent's Pass takes a pot shot at a small group of people walking along it. The bastards.
- Fainting: Sokka faints while observing the birth-giving.
- Fiction 500: The first case of Toph's name getting them something.
- Foil: Aang has foregone caring and hoping to find Appa whilst Sokka is being overprotective of Suki. Both are struggling with their respective losses (Appa/Yue) and both have to learn to reach a balance between caring too little and caring too much.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus/Properly Paranoid: The Obstructive Bureaucrat has the Cabbage Merchant's cart of cabbages violently destroyed because they might carry a parasite that could spread through the whole city. As the DVD Commentary points out, freezing when the pieces of cabbage are flying around shows he really did have a cabbage slug.
- Heroic Safe Mode: Aang spends the episode thinking he needs to stay in this.
- He's Back: A heartwarming variation. For a great deal of the episode, Aang is going through some serious emotional withdrawal after the events of "The Desert", from pretending he doesn't care about finding Appa anymore to believing that it's best to "Abandon hope". But after witnessing the couple's baby be born, Aang is moved to tears and finds the inner-strength to embrace his feelings for the people he cares about again.
- Hey, Wait!: Subverted when it turns out that the guard stopping Sokka on his way out is actually Suki.
- Just Hit Him: The serpent does a Mighty Roar instead of actually attacking the group when they are right in front of the creature.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: Smellerbee is offended at Iroh's implication she's a boy.
- Last-Minute Baby Naming: Ying and Than don't name their baby until she is born and Aang gives them the idea to name her "Hope".
- Maternity Crisis: There is a pregnant woman present so she must give birth in this episode.
- Non-Indicative Name: In-universe. Sokka assumes the Serpent's Pass is misnamed because it's not windy. Little does he know what "Serpent" stands for.
- Oblivious to His Own Description: This little nugget:Suki: I lost someone I care about. He didn't die. He just went away. I only had a few days to get to know him, but he was smart, and brave and funny.
Sokka: Who is this guy? Is he taller than me?
Suki: No. He's about your height.
Sokka: Is he better looking?
Suki: It is you, stupid!
- On Second Thought: Toph initially refuses to use the ice path that Katara built to cross the strait but then the Serpent is right on her tail and she quickly changes her mind.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Once again, Toph doesn't like being separated from dry land. In this instance, being knocked into the ocean causes her to shriek in terror.
- Poverty Food: Zuko complains about the rotten food he has to endure as a refugee.
- Recurring Extra: The poor Cabbage Merchant...
- Ridiculously Difficult Route: The Serpent's Pass is a tight path with a Sea Monster lying in wait.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: Toph Bei Fong would like 4 tickets for her, her 3 "valets" without passports, and her "seeing-eye lemur," please. Why, thank you very much for your cooperation!
- Second Love: Suki becomes this for Sokka.
- Shark Fin of Doom: The first thing we see of the Serpent is its fin.
- Ship Tease: Aang tells Katara that the newborn baby reminded him about his deep affection for Appa...and for her.
- "Shut Up" Kiss: Sokka gives one to Suki at the end.Sokka: You talk too much.
- "Shut Up" Kiss: Sokka gives one to Suki right before she leaves them after they get through the pass.Sokka: You talk too much.
- Smooch of Victory: Played for Laughs when Toph kisses Suki (believing she's Sokka) after she saves her from drowning.Toph: Oh, Sokka! You saved me! (kisses)Suki: Actually, it's me.Toph: Oh. ... you can let me drown now.
- Spoiler Title: It's pretty obvious that the Gaang won't take the ferry.
- Tears of Joy: Aang sheds them when seeing the new-born baby.Aang: I've been going through a really hard time lately. But you've made me hopeful again.
- Tempting Fate: A minor example, but still. At the start of the episode, Sokka exclaims "Then to Ba Sing Se we go, no more distractions". Cue a young couple coming in and greeting the Gaang.
- Two Lines, No Waiting: The Gaang's route on the Serpent's Pass is contrasted with Zuko helping Jet and his Freedom Fighters steal from the Captain's larder to distribute better food to the rest of the refugees.
- Your Costume Needs Work: Aang tries to get the Gaang free passage on the ferry to Ba Sing Se using his status as the Avatar, only to be told that his costume isn't any more convincing than the others that the ticket lady has seen.
- Your Princess Is in Another Castle!: Here comes the Avatar, everybody, on his way to find and save Appa. What could possibly get in the way of his journey? Wait, what's that next to the wall of Ba Sing Se?