Michael volunteers to participate in the father-son triathlon with Gob's son to prove his masculinity to Rita. Maeby attempts to expose the hypocrisy of an "Inner Beauty Contest" by appearing as her disabled alter-ego Surely. George Sr. mistakenly delivers a "Startled Straight" lecture to a gathering of gay men.
The Arrested Development episode "Notapusy" provides examples of:
- Answer Cut:Lindsay to Maeby: I don't know where that hair of yours came from.Cut to Tobias arriving at the scene
- Bait-and-Switch: When George Sr. is asked to scare kids away from criminal activities he thinks he is supposed to talk about getting married.
- Beauty Contest: An "Inner Beauty Contest"
- Inspirationally Disadvantaged: Maeby (as Surely) tries with all her might to not be this.
- Irony: The very existence of the "Church and State Fair".
- Lampshaded Double Entendre:Lindsay: If I can get Hope this crown...maybe her father might just wanna crown me, if you know what I mean.
- Literary Allusion Title: To Octopussy.
- Never Going Back to Prison: George Sr. says this almost exactly during his attempted escape after remembering his prison time.
- One Dialogue, Two Conversations: Par the course for the series. To humorous effect when George Sr. walks into the wrong tent thinking he's scaring away troubled youths with tales of Prison Rape, only for the gay crowd to misinterpret him and be enticed.
- Science Is Wrong:GOB: A young neighborhood tough by the name of Steve Holts gonna be here any minute.
Michael: Your son.
GOB: According to him.
Michael: And a DNA test.
GOB: I heard the jurys still out on science.
- Stage Mom: Lindsay was this when entering Maeby in beauty pageants when she was younger and does so again to bond with Bob's daughter.
- Tobias happily becomes this to Ann in the same contest.
- Training Montage: Of Michael exercising with Steve for the upcoming triathlon.