The family must appear at George Sr.'s arraignment hearing, but proceedings are jeopardized by Michael and Marta's relationship guilt and Gob's hunt for his unknown rival for Marta.
The Arrested Development episode "Beef Consommé" provides examples of:
- As Long as It Sounds Foreign: Tobias refers to two members of German Parliament calling their never-nude complex "nein wohlstandig" nude. Leaving the bad grammar aside, this phrase would translate to something like "non-prosperity" nude which is not making any sense at all.
- Entendre Failure: Marta takes "dad's hearing" literally and adds that her dad has issues with his vision.
- Hit Me, Dammit!: Buster spends the whole episode trying to get punched in the face, only to drop and curl into a ball when the time finally comes. This becomes a Brick Joke when he finally does get punched in the face by GOB's narcoleptic stripper in "Best Man for the GOB".
- Immediate Sequel: This episode takes place the day after "Marta Complex" and deals with Michael learning that Marta loves him. In fact, the "Next Time" segment from "Marta Complex" actually factors into this episode: George Michael deciding to find out Maeby's paternity, Tobias faced with having to overcome his Never Nude behavior, and Buster also falling in love with Marta.
- Last-Second Word Swap: Lindsay and Tobias when Maeby enters the scene of their quarrel.Lindsay: That's my point, you ... handsome cowboy, you.Tobias: Oh, great. And now you're mocking me, you selfish, cun...try-music-loving lady.
- Minor Flaw, Major Breakup: Marta breaks up with Michael over his scuffle with GOB in front of the court house.Marta: What is wrong with you? I thought you were good people. I thought you were noble. I thought you cared about family, but you clearly don't. It's over. Both of you. It's over.
- Oblivious Guilt Slinging: GOB praises Michael for his way with women, just as the latter wants to confess that he loves GOB's girlfriend Marta.
- The Talk: Tobias goes into one with George Michael until the latter tells him to stop.