Part one of three. Malory hires an adventurer named Rip Riley (voiced by Patrick Warburton) to find Archer, who has been missing since Katya sacrificed herself to save Archer on their wedding day.
This episode provides examples of:
- Arbitrarily Large Bank Account: The nigh-mythical Black Titanium Corporate Card that Malory gives to Lana. It has no withdraw limit and is ostensibly linked to the ISIS slush fund.
- Beard of Sorrow: Downplayed. Archer's grown out his hair and a pretty thick beard, whether out of despair or while trying to blend in.
- Disco Dan: Despite the series' Anachronism Stew, Rip comes off as much more old fashioned than most, using an out of date sea-plane and wearing clothes that look like they're from The '30s. Archer accuses him of trying to be "Sky Captain of Yesteryear" to be cool.
- Finger in the Mail: Subverted. Archer assumes that the pirates interested in ransoming them may wind up doing "that finger-mailing shit." The pirate leader doesn't plan on it.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Archer. Pam points out that most of her job involves dealing with sexual harassment complaints against him. Malory insists that nobody really wants to find him, and that they're secretly delighted that he's gone.Lana: Well, I wouldn't say "delighted," but...
Ray: I cannot say I miss the bullying.
Cyril: Me neither. Plus, ISIS actually turned a profit this quarter.
- Gadget Watch: Archer's Omicron Spymaster. It's got Knockout Gas, a garrote, and he thinks even a laser.
- Grievous Bottley Harm: Archer smashes a bottle across Rip's face.
- Heroic BSoD: Archer's been in one since Katya's death, having left/run away from ISIS and gone off the grid.
- Hidden Supplies: The ISIS crew initially assume that Archer's been skimming tons of cash from his operational budgets. Turns out he's just been tending bar on an island in French Polynesia to make ends meet.
- Indy Ploy: Archer, as usual. "I'm not really a planner."
- Last-Second Word Swap: Ray, when Malory insists that Archer wouldn't steal from her.Ray: Oh please, we all [Malory glares at him] think he would do that.
- Mexican Standoff: A brief one between Archer (holding Rip's gun) and Rip (holding a Flare Gun).
- Mr. Fanservice: Rip Riley. All the ISIS ladies (and Ray) are attracted to him.
- No-Sell: Rip doesn't even flinch when Archer breaks a bottle across his face.
- One-Man Army: Archer casually takes out ten pirates in about twenty seconds.
- Ruthless Modern Pirates: Rip and Archer get picked up by a group of them.
- Shown Their Work: the D-ration bars Archer mistakes for chocolate bars are a thing, and they do taste terrible (deliberately, so you don't start munching until you need it).
- Threatening Shark: Archer saves Rip from one by shooting it in the face.
- You Kill It, You Bought It: Archer kills the pirate leader, so he winds up as the pirate king.
- Your Cheating Heart: Archer nails a woman who's on her honeymoon. She's distraught over it, but he points out that considering her husband is playing thirty-six holes of golf on the first day of their honeymoon, that marriage probably wasn't going to work out.