Kovacs Prime bluffs Quell in order to get the weapon, while Trepp tries to save Kovacs.
Tropes in this episode:
- Armor-Piercing Response: Kovacs Prime initially has no empathy for Kovacs killing Rae. Kovacs is able to get him to listen with one comeback.Kovacs Prime: What kind of person kills his own sister?
Kovacs: The same person who killed his father.
- Badass Boast: After Trepp drags Kovacs up the cliff, he immediately decides to go after the Wedge team.Trepp: How!? You're not exactly in fighting shape, and we have no weapons!
Kovacs: We are the weapons!
Trepp: [muttering] What the hell does that even mean?
- Blood from the Mouth: Kemp, after being riddled with bullets by CTAC.
- Bluff the Impostor: Quell quickly realized that Kovacs Prime wasn't her Kovacs, determined that he would be looking for the weapon, and offered to bring him to a cache where she had hidden it. She actually brought him to the tomb where Rae had tortured her for centuries, and used the holo-recordings to begin to sow doubt in his mind all over again.
- The Cavalry: The rebels around Kemp save Kovacs and Trepp from being executed by the CTAC soldiers.
- Easy Amnesia: Once Quell stands on the shore of the lake near Stronghold, she immediately gets her memories back.Kovacs: It worked.
- Girl in a Box: Quell in the cryo prison pod.
- Godiva Hair: Quell's long hair is covering the sensitive parts of her naked body when lying in her cryo pod.
- Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy: The CTAC soldiers firing their automatic weapons at the heroes in the forest and not getting a single hit.
- Lady in Red: Rei is wearing a glaring red dress in the holo records Quell plays for Kovacs Prime.
- Laser Sight: Kovacs gets an Oh, Crap! moment in the forest when numerous CTAC lasers are pointed at his chest.
- Literal Cliffhanger: Trepp finds Kovacs unconscious, hanging from the side of the cliff by his left hand. Those subconscious survival instincts kicked in at the last second.Trepp: Don't move, don't look down, don't open your left hand.
- Meaningful Name: "Quellcrist" is not Quell's real name. She took the name from a type of seaweed on Harland's World, which dries up and turns to dust, but immediately grows back a hundredfold when exposed to water.
- Neck Snap: Kovacs kills one of the CTAC soldiers in the forest using this method.
- One-Man Army: Kovacs Prime is wearing a Super Soldier combat sleeve, backed up by decades of training and ruthlessness. Quell, in an ordinary utility sleeve, beats him and makes it look easy. During the "Ascernment," she catches two knives without looking and then throws them to knock guns out of the hands of the guards.
- Orbital Bombardment: When the heroes are about to be overrun, Quell somehow manipulates the Elder satellites to call down angelfire on the enemy forces. Especially shocking because the satellites never fire on the ground.
- Reduced to Dust: What happens to anyone hit by angelfire.
- Removing the Earpiece: Kovacs Prime cuts off the comm line to Carrera in order to talk to Kovacs about Rei in private.
- Resistance as Planned: The Quellist insurrection was orchestrated by Danita from the start. She found Kemp, someone from a family that was helped by Quell centuries ago, and recruited him as the face of the movement. The "peons" think it's real, but the war is all just playacting.
- Rewarded as a Traitor Deserves: Kemp gets shot by Danita's forces when he tries to reveal his status as her agent.
- Right Behind You: Danica overhears Carrera calling her a bitch while entering his command center. Leads to an Ironic Echo when she later announces that "This bitch is not going anywhere."
- Saved by the Platform Below: In the previous episode, Kovacs Prime threw Kovacs off the cliff, clearly thinking it will kill him. In this episode, it's revealed that Kovacs' fall was interrupted by him clinging to a protrusion on the cliff's surface.
- Sigil Spam: Trepp's family stamps their stacks with their family crest. Which is why she is able to immediately recognize her brother's stack on Kemp's necklace.